ᴇɪɢʜᴛ- ᴛʜᴇ ᴏᴄᴇᴀɴ

༺☙༻'I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand'⁻ᵃˡᵉᶜ ᵇᵉⁿʲᵃᵐⁱⁿ; ⁱᶠ ʷᵉ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵉᵃᶜʰ ᵒᵗʰᵉʳ

༺☙༻
'I will be
your brother,
and I'll hold
your hand'
ᵃˡᵉᶜ ᵇᵉⁿʲᵃᵐⁿ; ᶠ ʷᵉ ʰᵃᵛᵉ ᵉᵃᶜʰ ᵒᵗʰᵉʳ

             RIVER STARED out the apartment window, wishing the bright lights and tall buildings was the ocean with the rise and fall of the tide

RIVER STARED out the apartment window, wishing the bright lights and tall buildings was the ocean with the rise and fall of the tide. She was feeling homesick and she could almost feel the sand between her toes, the constant refreshing waves lapping against her body as she stood waist deep, soothing her sore muscles from a day of work.

She missed Annie's hugs and her warm sea salt cookies. No matter how old she was, she'd always miss the feeling of it being winter, being reckless and running into the frostbite worthy ocean with Finnick before returning home to Annie's warm embrace and biting into a soft, fresh out of the oven cookie.

She remembered Mags' disapproving look as she stayed up late, sneaking into the kitchen to snatch up one more or when Annie and Finnick would have a date, leaving the two home alone to cook and dance.

Another haunting memory was Finnick and her, sitting on the edge of the boat at dawn, saying nothing but enjoying the ethereal beauty of the sunrise. River would always wake up extra early, begging him to leave sooner so they wouldn't miss it.

But unfortunately, that was in the past. Annie's cookies had become cold, Mags would have to dance alone, and Finnicks sunrise would fade to gray.

    "Scallop." Her head turned to find Finnick, walking towards her and when the Capitol glow illuminated his frame, she felt the dying urge to just break down right then and there.

     "Hey Finn." She replied instead, turning to look back out the glass as he took a seat next to her.

     "How're you doing?" He asked with a comforting tone, one that was sincere.

   "I've been better." She sighed, resting her chin on her knees, afraid that if she looked at him the built up emotions would pour out of her.

     Finnick stared at her, trying to understand how to lead the conversation. Watching her expression that was saddened and exhausted made his heart ache. With everything going on, he had felt like he hadn't been the brother he promised.