ᴛʀɪᴘ ᴛᴏ ᴅɪsᴛʀɪᴄᴛ ᴛᴡᴏ; ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴛᴡᴏ

༺☙༻

༺☙༻

             THE THREE of them were playing a card game in the living room, River taking the lead and about to win the round

THE THREE of them were playing a card game in the living room, River taking the lead and about to win the round. Just like always, Cato was complaining about her cheating, saying it was unfair.

That was until he was cut off by a knock at the door. They just assumed it was one of Valor's friends, letting her tend to get it.

However, Cato felt chills erupt on his skin when she told him it was for him.

"Dad." He spoke, giving the man a firm nod. That was the way they spoke to each other. Like talking to someone so intimidating that you only ever felt tense in their presence.

"Cato. What're you doing back in town?" The man questioned, shoving his hands into his coat pockets.

Cato kept eye contact with him, having found out the hard way that it was essential to do so when in conversation with him.

They were bickering once, something about how it was Cato's fault his mother died like his father kept telling him to which he argued back.

He looked away from him for a second which earned him the privilege of not getting dinner that night.

From then on, he never dared to avoid his piercing eyes. Even though he was an adult now, there was no telling what the man would do.

"I haven't been back in quite some time so I figured why not. What are you doing here?" Cato replied, his tone bored, hiding the anxiousness he felt.

'Never let them see they get to you.' Words that the man standing in front of him drilled into his head at the age of twelve.

"Heard you were back. You know how quick word gets 'round.'" The man reached forward, clapping Cato on the shoulder. He held back his flinch, flashing a smile that didn't reach his eyes.