Chapter 2: Breakfast

You woke up late the next morning. After preparing yourself for the day, you went around to recharge all of the spells you had newly placed in the room. One of the things you had done after Astaras had left was to stick barrier spells and alarm spells at strategic positions so that the entire room, not only the doorway, would be covered. This would prevent not only physical incursions but magical ones as well, so no one else could randomly pop in your room without your consent.

Spell casting was an ability bequeathed unto you by god when he had made you an oracle, an event that is a whole story in itself. But basically, you were able to create them by writing or inscribing a physical representation of the spell onto somewhere, like paper, metal, or rock. The material acted as a physical link between your magic and the real world. If your physical proximity was close enough, then you could feel a bond of energy linking you to the spell, which passively recharges it. However, if a large disturbance happens and a lot of energy gets used up at one time, like what happened last night, then the no-contact bond doesn't recharge fast enough. Physical contact is the best way to recharge large, controllable amounts of energy into the spells, which is why you had touched the spells on the side of the door. You physically recharged all of your spells this morning as you were going to be too far away to passively recharge the spells, so you wanted to ensure that they hadn't failed by the time you got back.

You opened the door, mentally debating whether to go down the stairwell and risk being attacked by that crazy redhead again, or to just jump off the balcony and fly to where the kitchens were. After looking at the map, you decided to go down the stairs, since there were balconies at every level which you could jump out of if he suddenly came out of nowhere. Plus, you wanted to familiarize yourself with your surroundings and also set up some spells alongside the stairwell.

Walking down, you hid alert spells and barrier spells in the various lamps that dotted the walls. The alert spells would alert you to any physical or magical presences, while the barrier spells could be activated if you ever chose to do so. Using the map to guide you, you stepped out of the stairwell and into the hallway. You had flown through it last night, but now that it was daytime and you weren't under duress, you were able to make out the details.

As you walked, the velvety red carpet blanketing the floor gave in to your footsteps. The walls were composed of some sturdy looking burgundy wood. While a row of windows that looked out towards the front lawn and entrance of the property were embedded into one side, the other only had a few large doors. The map showed them to be spare rooms, able to be converted for whatever needs according to a magical's desires, if residents wrote a letter of request to the Bureau of Magicals. Wanting to see if those rooms were occupied, you lightly knocked on each before opening the door. It seemed that all of the ones in this hall were unoccupied, but there were also other floors and another wing.

This hall, which you mentally decided to call your own, was the East wing. The main building had two wings angled inwards, with a grand entrance in the middle and on the West wing on the other side. Enclosed by the main building was a garden with various little plazas. Eventually, these gardens turned into thick forest towards the North. The West wing was surrounded by towering mountains with ice-melt streams that fed into the lake behind the East wing. There were various smaller buildings which more or less made a circle around the central garden, but none of them had towers, which you preferred as a winged magical.

The kitchen was towards the back of the center building and opened up into the garden. Pushing open the door, your wings tensed in surprise to see a already there. His dark black hair and beautiful eye shape were very uncommon in the Western empire, but you had seen illustrations in books of the people from the Eastern empire that looked similar to him. Wearing Eastern-style clothing that looked to be made of even higher quality silks than the noblemen of the capital, he made quite an interesting contrast with the very Western kitchen. He turned around with an upright posture, somewhat surprised to see you too. You somehow felt an inexplicable sense of curiosity towards him, which drove you to speak.