Chapter 5: Night Time Encounters

(My picture, taken in the Vatican. Highly recommend visiting, it's a real gem full of history and treasures. Too bad the Yuanming Yuan is no longer around. I think it would have been comparable.)

        When you woke up again, it was already night time.

You actually felt alive now, your body no longer sore or exhausted. Part of you kind of wished that you had slept all the way through to the next morning, but you were undoubtedly awake now as sleep evaded you. Pushing yourself out of bed, you put on some underwear and a pure white night dress before experimentally summoning an orb of light. Your reserves were low, but using magic hadn't been painful and you weren't feeling burned out, so you counted that as a win. Luckily, your barriers and alarm spells were still doing well. If they continued to receive no extreme impact, they could actually hold out well into the next week.

Really not wanting to think about a certain red haired man, you decided to go and explore the rest of the building. You hadn't really had a chance to look around yet, exactly because of that red haired bastard but-

You realized that you were thinking about him, and forced your thoughts away from the subject. Deciding to make use of the portable lamp by your bedside, you went over to the large wardrobe. In the back of the cabinet along with all of your underwear, you had put your bag of energy stones.

Energy stones, also called vitalia, were the mysterious ores that powered anything magical. Like your paper spells, they were mediums of magic and could continuously give magic to an object without actively being directed to. The ones on the market had all undergone processing in order to be usable, and severe regulations restricted the number of stones that could be processed. Vitalia already had magic power when dug out, but could be recharged through various mysterious means. Generally, only the upper class and wealthy had the means and wealth to access them, but the usage of lower class vitalia had already begun rapidly spreading to the middle class as well, due to the abundance of supply. Not to mention, as disposable incomes rose, vitalia were used en-masse to power factories which produced commodities that were newly in demand.

Since you were who you were, the temple had provided you with only top grade processed vitalia when you'd first set out. This had been a bit of a problem, since the lower quality machines you had purchased couldn't process such high amounts of energy. In the end, you wound up auctioning off a few of the high quality stones and became a lady of decent wealth. You had bought plenty of medium and low grade vitalia after that, and years later, you still had the money from your purchases.

Grabbing one of the lower grade vitalia, you inserted it into the energy chamber of the lamp. After turning it on, you stopped using your energy on the light orb and grabbed some slippers, ready to explore the place at night. Examining the map you had prepared, you decided to avoid the residential areas and just check out the various recreational areas provided. After you had left the East wing, you let out your wings and jumped off of the 3rd floor. As you glided through the halls, lamps lit automatically in your wake, making for quite a beautiful scene.

Reaching a large set of doors, you landed and pushed them open. As you had anticipated, shelves of books greet you. Lamps were embedded in the sides of bookshelves and on the walls of the library, lighting up as you passed by. Seeing a light behind a bookshelf in the back corner, you frowned, hoping that it wasn't Serenvalens, though you didn't really peg him as the reading type. As you rounded the corner, you sensed the demonic aura emanating from the individual.

"Astaras," you called out softly in greeting, not wanting to scare him with your abrupt presence so late at night.

He doesn't seem surprised though, and you wondered if he could sense things in the shadow like you could sense things blocking the light. Foregoing the socially proper curtsy, you set your lamp on the table and slip into the seat across from him. You had a hunch that he wasn't the type that would care about human etiquette, since he had basically snuck into a lady's room last night and didn't seem scandalized to see you wearing just a nightdress.