The Competition

**TW for mentions of drugs, though in a positive light. Let's save the world. As always like and comment!**

The next day, the entire school was called to a last-minute emergency assembly, and everyone excitedly took their seats in the theater, glad to get a break from studying. I looked for Jasmine, but she was with Jason and ignored my existence.

I sighed dejectedly and sat next to a few freshmen I didn't know in the slightest and watched the teachers file onto the stage. Most seemed just as happy as the students were to be out of class, but Mr. Grande, someone found me in the crowded room, and our eyes locked.

I felt my breath catch in my chest, and I wondered if he finally remembered me, but after a very long moment, his frown deepened into a glare, and he looked away dismissively.

"Alright, settle down, everyone! I have an exciting announcement!" Principle Skinner yelled into the microphone, her smile sweet as always and her round boisterous figure covered in a bright print dress to mark the special occasion of the announcement.

"Scores were a little lackluster this year, but do not worry because I know what will motivate you! We are going to hold a competition. We are going to do a cram session for the Test and then give it to each student," She explained joyfully as if testing was the best thing ever.

"The students with the highest marks in each year will compete against each other in a trivia competition held right here in the auditorium! Whoever wins will get an all-inclusive vacation to the Maldives for them and three of their friends! And our lovely Mr. Grande to chaperone, of course!" Mr Grande stood up quickly and made a small bow, his enthusiasm nonexistent.

Her announcement was met with cheering from almost everyone. Stacy just rolled her eyes, having no intention of even trying since she had been so many times before, it seemed.

I myself had never traveled for more than an hour from my home outside of school and would do almost anything in order to win the trip. It sounded like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I couldn't pass it up.

Even after the assembly ended, everyone was buzzing, the halls full of life and excitement that I had never seen before.

The mood shifted in the classes from apathy to cutthroat competition, with every person determined to outdo the others. Everywhere I went, I saw people who had not opened a book all semester, ecstatic to study, comparing notes, and exchanging flash cards.

No one knew what the test was going to be on, so every subject was fair game.

"My daddy said he would take me to Monaco for spring break, so I don't need to study. He promised to take me to Africa last year, but the trip got delayed with his work." Asla said, bragging when Ms. Rodeao gave us time in class to study for the potential reading part of the Test.

"Is that so? Well, I'm glad for you, Asla, but maybe if you studied your Geography, you would know Monaco is not in Africa." Ms. Rodeo said curtly, earning some snickers from the class, who normally didn't dare to tease Asla.

"Can I go to the front desk? My butler brought me a smoothie from BH Juice. I'm feeling so dehydrated." Stacy whined, distracting everyone who was actually trying to study.

Ms. Rodeo pinched her very wrinkled old nose, trying to keep her patience with the bratty teen.

"You know as well as I do. There is no wandering the halls." She explained like she was talking to an annoying five-year-old.

"Okay then, I need to use the bathroom. Desperately." She said with a smirk. Ms. Rodeo shook her head exasperatedly but wrote a hall pass, wanting to just be done with the girl at that point.