Ch 5

It was the wedding day.

The back garden of the mantion is lightly decorated with flowers, with a small mandap like structure wrapped up of white, red sheets and flower chains

Shubman, the Zamindar's son, was standing nervously.  He was dressed up in a traditional sherwani, looking regal and handsome. His mother, the Zamindarni, came to him with a worried expression.

'Shubman beta , tujhe ye karna hi hai?' she asked, fiddling with the beads of her saree.

"ha maa. Zaruri hai"  Shubman replied with determination.

Just then Panditji, arrived to conduct the wedding ceremony. He looked at Shubman with disapproval but kept his opinions to himself. The preparations were complete and the guests started arriving.

Mostly Britishers.

Zamindar was busy pleasing them, with food and talking to them .

Shubman shied at his father's awful behaviour.

Just then he looked to other side, his eyes fell on Ishan , wearing a whitish serwani , walking in nervously while fiddling is fingers.

Beautiful.

Shubman thought.

As the ceremony commenced, Panditji invoked the blessings of the Gods and began the rituals. Shubman and Ishan exchanged garlands. The couple then took seven sacred vows around the holy fire.

The wedding was very much simple, swift.
Shubman could see Ishan's nervous face, eyes still holding fear.
Shubman made sure to the vow that he would wash away every worry from him.

Shubman entered his room, closing the door behind. His bed was decorated with flowers unlike the normal days, sweet smell of Jasmine filled the room, lights of elegent candles warmed up the walls.

Shubman approached his bed, noticing the shorter boy who was fiddling with his fingers go stiff. Ishan was sitting at edge of the bed, too scared to look up.

Shubman sat next to him, mentaining a little distance.
"Ishan, as I promised, I would never even touch you unless you want me too. You need to trust me Ishan." Shubman said, trying to sound as gentle as he could.

Ishan slowly looked up at Shubman, "I- I am trying.. It's just.."

"It's fine Ishan, take your time. I am here you remind you each time" shubman smiled again, dimples adoring his cheeks.

Ishan felt his heart warming up again.
Even though he knew Shubman is nothing but a kind soul, he still had fear for the night.

Just like the way the maids told him to present himself for their master, Ishan shuddered at the thought.

"Since we are friends, we should get to know each other more! Hope you don't mind Ishan."

That made the said boy come out of daze, "y-yeah" Ishan slowly nodded .

"By the way! I never got to ask you, how did you um.. learn English?" Shubman asked, curiosity in his eyes.

Ishan smiled, "I am too poor to attend school for higher education, I studied the basics in school somehow, Then I had leave school cuz baba couldn't pay. I used to go to clean classrooms and school area of an institution few miles away. I used to eavesdrop the classes and learnt the language.When I heard you speak English from the um guards, I tried to speak"

"You are a genius Ishan!" Shubman exclaimed, "That is great! You speak so well"

"Thank you.. I try. Um, why do you speak English?" Ishan wondered.

"I lived half of my life London, before that I even used to be tutored by British teachers. Father really wanted me to be westernised. I guess he kind of succeeded, even though I am trying to speak Hindi more." Shubman chuckled.

"I can help you, you can speak Hindi with me I won't judge you" Ishan said , he was getting a bit comfortable with the man.

"Thik hai" Shubman said, and Ishan smiled wider finding that cute.

"Also um.. Ishan hum Kolkata ja rahe he, tomorrow"

Ishan's eyes widened, is shubman realised Planing to sell him or something?
"w-why?" He asked.

"Ishan it's very important for us to stay away. You can't stay here for long , my father will suspect. Also you won't have the freedom. I will be working in Kolkata press for mechanical works, and you can even continue your studies if you want.. it's for the better Ishan. I hope you trust me" Shubman said, looking into Ishan's eyes , who gulped.

Could he trust Shubman?

What else he could do anyway, he has nothing to loose anymore.

"I will go with you" Ishan said.