Chapter 4

P

P.O.V : Lucien (Lycan King)

***

So different yet all too familiar.... It's only ever just a dream.

The way her long dark brown hair shines in the sunlight.. Her delicate fingers carefully caressing the waist length flowers as she walks down the dirt trail before me. Her ivory spring dress caresses her body in such a way, undoubtedly making her look like a goddess. Always so tortuous, for she is so close yet unreachable. I wish I could just see her face, even just a side glance, for I'd paint her portrait the moment I awaken. I have sketched and painted many of her, but only of her from afar, just like this. If only I could hear her voice, for I know who she is, she is her, the one I pray for, my mate.

It's always the same, I can only ever watch from where I stand.

She slowly touches each flower, and as always not once does she ever turn around to look at me. Does she not know I am here, waiting, yearning for her.

The moment I try taking a step towards my mate, she bursts into thousands of glowing red butterflies that fly straight for the sun.

***

The paint brush glides along the canvas creating the image of her in that ivory dress reaching out to the flowers, just like my dream.

Knock Knock

"Enter"

"King Lucien, the invitation to the mating event has arrived from Alpha Kent and his acting Luna Florence"... Maximus my second in command and aid in all things.

As I continue painting her... "Just leave it and go"

"Yes my King... another dream huh?"....

I sigh out loud ... "Yes... now go Max"

"You'll find her man, don't give up hope, maybe she'll be there this time at the event"...

"Maximus.." I growl low but the threat is loud without the words needed.

"Alright alright I'm gone..."

The door closes and I don't hold back my anger and pain as I let out a growl so loud, I grab the easel to stop it from shaking. I know he means well, he's my oldest friend but I'm tired of being told I'll find her. That's clearly never going to happen, it's been 788 years since I first shifted into a Lycan. And my mate has never once appeared.

I've thought of so many possible scenarios, the worst being she was born and died before I could find her, before I had the chance to protect her, hold her, love her. Perhaps that is why the Moon Goddess continues to show me her in my dreams.

I've tried having lovers in the past hoping to fill the void that grows in my heart, but it all ended in disappointment, never satisfying. It's been nearly 300 years since I've taken a lover by my side. And I may never take one again, for I have accepted my reality, I was born to be alone.

I put down my brush and stare at my finished work. Even in a painting she is truly breathtaking, every inch of me yearns for her.

I pick up the painting and walk across my room to store it with the others. A room across the hall from my bedroom, it's solely dedicated to all my paintings and sketches of her. Only I am allowed in that room.

I stop in my tracks as I pick up a scent that has my body on edge in a strange way. Immediately my senses pick up the scent and I find myself at my desk looking down at the invitation Max brought to me.

Placing my painting down gently on the desk, I examined the invitation. I bring it to my nose and It smells oddly intoxicating.. Opening the wax seal of Alpha Kent, I scan over the invitation and as I thought, nothing out of the ordinary. I place the invitation to my nose once again, inhaling the scent over and over.

"What the fuck is this smell?"...

With another loud growl I fold the invitation, placing it inside my robe pocket. Grabbing my new painting of her, I proceed to the room I both hate and love. The room of dreams...

 The room of dreams