Chapter 5

P.O.V : Florence (Flora) 

The days following the birth of my baby brother were nonstop busy for my family and I.

I found out real quick ear plugs were my best friend as my parents went through having a newborn all over again. Clearly they were a little out of practice so creating an efficient routine was taking some time.

Ethan and I were spending the night at our friend's house when we could. I mainly stayed with Carrie since it was easier to have Alpha Kents input and approval on things. Work was nonstop busy for the pack, even Damien and Sean were busy with training and patrols. Sean would also help his father out with his construction business, a project I hired his dad dedicated to building a place for the Lycans to stay.

Apparently all the years prior during when the mating events were held, Lycans would just sleep in the woods and use the Common hall to shower and change. How wild. Apparently this never bothered anyone but me. However, thankfully I am now in a position to make some changes and Alpha Kent wasn't against my ideas. He welcomed them seeing how hard I continued to try and achieve peace between our kinds. Many would think it's pointless, since Lycan's always treat us like a lesser being. But i'd like to believe things can always change for the better, small progress is still progress.

Shelby is a nurse so she's always at the hospital but I gave her small tasks to do. I needed her to make sure we had sufficient supplies ready on stand by, just in case chaos ever happened. I'd like to think everything will go smoothly but with so many packs here plus the Lycans, I'd rather be prepared for the worst.

"Flora when you sent out all the invitations did anyone not respond?" ... Alpha Kent asked as he scanned over the details of supplies needed for the Lycan's stay.

"Oh, um well all but one responded... the Lycan King never sent a response" .. I fidget with my moonstone ring as I take in Alpha Kents reaction. But he looks calm and unbothered and usual.

"Very typical of the King, I'm sure he will be here. The three Alphas and their Luna's will be staying in the grand hall this year, correct?"

"Yes sir, everything is ready for them" I reply immediately and this time Alpha Kent raises an eyebrow at me.

"When everyone arrives don't respond like that, you are my acting Luna not my servant, we are equals in many ways".. His dark green eyes show genuine care before he turns his attention back to all the countless paperwork.

"Right, sorry Alpha-"

"Kent"... he interrupts immediately.

Crap-o-la

"Flora, I understand you are only my acting Luna and not my wife , you're my daughter's best friend. I understand why it's... strange... but  we must still act accordingly. I suggest we start practicing now, the event will be here in no time" ... Alpha Kent stands up, walks around his desk till he is right in front of me.

Before I have the chance to ask anything he gently grabs my hand and brings it to his lips, placing a soft kiss upon my knuckles. What...

My ears feel warm out of embarrassment, mostly. Alpha Kent is by no means ugly, he's muscular as a warrior should be, tanned from all the outside training, tall, handsome features with his long hair, trimmed beard and dark green eyes. But he's also Carrie's dad, so I never allowed myself to fall victim to him charm and good looks like all the women in this pack. I respect him as my Alpha of course, but have only ever allowed myself to see him as I would a coworker.. I have no idea how I should act besides being a coworker. I've never wanted to dive into that rabbit hole, fearing that I'd never be able to come out.

"Even if being close like this makes you uncomfortable, I must ask you to bear with it, Just while we have our guests staying here."

But what if?...

"What if I find my mate?"... Alpha Kent gently releases my hand.

"Well... obviously I'd have to let you go my dear".. I see a shimmer of sadness in his eyes but it's gone a moment we hear footsteps approaching.

"Dad a letter just arrived with the King's seal on it" ... Carrie hands Alpha Kent an ivory envelope.

I pick up a strange smell that has me rather intrigued, I find myself following Alpha Kent, my feet moving on their own. As he sits in his chair behind his desk my eyes don't leave the envelope from the king. However, without realizing it I'm practically leaning  my side against Alpha Kent's shoulder.

Carrie clears her throat grabbing my attention and gives a very pointed look between Alpha Kent and myself. Reality snaps back to me in one big embarrassing moment.. "Oh shit.. I'm sorry"... As I begin to walk away Alpha Kent grabs my wrist pulling me to his side once again.

"You may go Carrie"... Carrie looks confused but says nothing as she leaves her fathers office.

"Um.. she will most definitely get the wrong idea".. I whisper.

Alpha Kent chuckles softly.. "I'm sure you will clear it up, but I meant it when I told you we need to practice being rather close to one another".

The look Alpha Kent gave me had my face feeling warm. I nod with a smile...."Right, so, the letter?".. I turn my attention back to the strange scent coming from this envelope.

"I'm sure it's just a simple response that he will be arriving".. Alpha Kent breaks the king's seal, taking out the handwritten letter.

"Seems the King wrote this himself, I'll say it's been awhile since he's done that".. Alpha Kent says with surprise laced in his normally calm voice.

Alpha Kent, Luna Florence ... I am looking forward to seeing firsthand what new things you intend to bring to this year's mating event. Don't disappoint me.

                                                                                           King Lucien

Alpha Kent smiles while I stand there practically trembling from nerves and fear. Alpha Kent gently reaches around me, rubbing my back softly.

"Relax Flora, he will appreciate what you've done this year. But I do suggest staying near me the entire time the king is here. He's known to be cruel.... Which reminds me, you will be staying with me the entire week the event goes on."

"What, why?"... not that I mind, his home is practically my second home.

Alpha Kent raises a brow and pulls me closer to him... "Wouldn't it be rather strange for an Alpha and Luna not to be living under the same roof."

Again the heat builds in my face going down my neck. He's too close, I'm never this close to him.

"Okay, you're right.. I'll be there when the time comes".. I can only manage a whisper and the smirk I receive in return, I can completely understand why women want him. A small lonely part of me thinks being close to my Alpha isn't a bad idea... I mean I have every right as acting Luna?... right?

Saved by the buzz.

My phone begins to buzz nonstop in my purse, which is in a chair on the other side of Alpha's desk. Alpha Kent gently releases me and I'm a little grateful for the space as I reach my purse.

I look at Alpha who gazes at me softly... "I'm going to head over to the hospital to double check that all the supplies are in order. Shelby says its good for a final check"

"Very well Luna, see you later"

I nod and take one last glance at the strange smelling letter on Alpha's desk before leaving. As I exit his office I can't help but think about the way he said later. What does that even mean, normally I wouldn't need to see him again after the morning check in's. Of course maybe he just meant at his house if i stay the night again with Carrie. Yeah, that must be what he meant.

I shake off this crazy feeling, I swear being physically close to Alpha Kent is just making my hormones go haywire.

"Ugh I'm hopeless"...

Yes you are... Anaka chuckles through our mind link.