The Westport Zombie

Normally Lily would be jealous that her mom cared about everyone else before her. But today she loved the fact that she was obsessing over Taylor getting close with their neighbor Viv. It meant that she could go unnoticed for a while.

Throughout the time that Lily was staying home instead of going to school, it was 24-7 lectures about how irresponsible she was. How she needed to be smarter and not think of boys. All while Taylor was allowed to cost by with failing tests and dating boys.

Basically she wasn't allowed to make mistakes. If she wasn't perfect then she was seen as gum on the bottom of their shoes.

She tried everything to make her mom happy. She cleaned the dishes so Katie wouldn't have to. She tried cooking dinner one night for them, but the family went to eat at a restaurant without telling her. She sat at the island that night eating her one serving of lasagna while the dish sat on the counter getting cold.

So as her mother all but pushed Viv out the door she was reading a book on the couch once again.

Katie decided to question Taylor about the new friendship.

"Hey, kind of an older addition to your squad, huh?"

"Viv and I have a lot in common."

"What do you have in common, other than having paid for your own dinner?"

"She's athletic, fun, super-positive. You know what it is?."

With a crescent fallen face Katie hums as a response.

Taylor lightly smiles. "She gets me."

With that Taylor leaves the room.

"Okay asked and answered."

Katie letting out a pain sound.

She turns to her husband and mocks the last thing Taylor had said.

"Do you see what's happening here?"

"You know I don't." Slightly shaking his head.

"Taylor is looking up to Viv and not me. That woman is turning her into a mini-version of her fake-fake-fake self."

"Or maybe Vivs just being nice."

***

Lily walked into a corner shop. The second she walked in she could smell coffee and baked goods, but that's not what she came here for. It was so she could walk through the shelves of books to hopefully find one that piques her interest.

After looking she found two that sounded perfect for her. Sure they were both romances but they were different. One was a romcom while the other was a darker kind of love.

A good romance always did the trick to make her feel better. She wishes that one day she'll find someone who will treat her like a princess.

She puts her books down on the counter.

"Hello sweetheart. What can I do for you?" A sweet older lady asked.

"I'd like to purchase these two books, and I was wondering if I could apply to work here? I saw the sign outside and I've always wanted to work with books."

"Of course here let me give you a paper and you can bring it back when you're down with it."

She came back with the application and started to ring up the books.

"Your total will be $10.58."

Getting my cash out of my pocket. "Here you go. Is it okay if I sit at one of the tables and fill this out?"

"Of course, it's no problem at all."

***

Back at the Otto Household dinner was being served. Everyone gathered around the table. The twins' chairs were empty. A bowl of noodles and a basket of bread are on the table.

"Tonight in the tradition of pre-race meals, we carb-load." Katie announces with a smile on her face.

"How is this different from our regular Saturday night noodles?" Anna-Kat asked, slightly confused.

"We're going to eat more of it, and no side salad that nobody eats, and I throw away feeling like a bad mommy." She then yells up the stairs. "Taylor! Dinner!"

"She's across the street at Viv's." Oliver informed his mother.

Trying to act cool she responded. "Oh, well, why don't I just go ahead and run right over and get her?" She grabs a piece of bread and flicks her wrist up in the air. "Roadie!"

***

By the time Lilly had got home all the lights in the house were off. Even though she had to walk home in the dark, she had a huge smile on her face. She had found something that allowed her to fill up her schedule. Less free time meant less time stuck at home.

Also a huge plus is she gets an employee discount on any of the books in the store. They also gave you a meal from the cafe when working.

Unlocking the door was quite difficult in the dark. She really should remind her parents to change the light bulb for the porch light.

The door had a slight squeak when opening but nothing too bad.

Everyone seemed to be upstairs. She turned on the kitchen light to grab a glass of water. Now with the light on she could see into the dinning room. All of the dishes from that nights dinner were just sitting there. Food still on their plates.

Letting out a sigh she abandons the idea of getting water, and gathers all the dishes. Bringing them over to the sink. She scrapes the excess food into the trash and organizes them into groups to make washing easier.

***

By now 30 minutes had passed. The dishes dried and put away. So tired she forgot her original plan and just went to bed. Deciding to shower in the morning instead.

***

Please don't be silent readers. I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. If you like the story please vote! Thank you for reading.