Suprise

Oliver's morning started with him waking to the smell of cinnamon rolls. Opening his eyes to see his sister smiling at him with a plate in her hand wafting the aroma into his face.

The girl had been shadowing Duke in the kitchen during her time off. She wanted to learn how to make them for Oliver for this moment. Her sitting by his side, way too early in the morning, the only light in the room is the single candle stuck in the roll.

Lilly had made the rolls last night so they could proof, then woke up early to bake them.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to yo-"

"No, please no." The boy groaned.

"Fine. There is more food in the kitchen."

"Is there bacon?"

"I know you better than to make your birthday breakfast without bacon." She gestured for him to take the plate. "Now make a wish before the candle wax gets on the cinnamon roll. I worked way too hard for it to be ruined."

***

Lilly decided to spend her night watching movies while on FaceTime with Lucas. She had told Oliver that once he came back home from bowling, he could join if he wanted. She wanted to respect his wishes of not having a party, but didn't want him to think she didn't care, either.

The girl was slightly suspicious of her mother because she had been running around and there was a lot of noise in the basement when she came home from work. A lot of weird noises that she honestly didn't want to know about.

So she did the next best thing is to hide.

That was until she heard multiple loud voices down stairs yelling, "Surprise!"

When downstairs she saw a room full of kids, her parents, but most importantly an upset Oliver. She asked Lucas to come over to make sure she didn't lose her sanity.

"Hey, I'm going to steal my brother for a second."

They walked to the office.

"I told her I didn't want a party. Now everyone is here." Oliver was getting so upset he started hyperventilating. "I didn't want any of this. Why would she do this?"

"Ok. I need you to sit down before you pass out." She started to guide him to the couch.

"Maybe if I hit my head and have to go to the ER, the party will have to end."

"I know this isn't ideal but let's not go to the ER. We'll leave that as a last resort. It wouldn't really help your issue since they already saw our house."

"I guess."

"If we make it through the night I'll do your chores for a week."

"Deal."

***

"Five minutes until the escape room begins!"

"You've never had us over to your casa before." Cooper said to Oliver. "Most of the time they tear these down and build, like, a... you know, a house."

Lucas put his hand on his brother's shoulder. "Hey, that's rude. It doesn't matter what their house looks like. You should be grateful to have been invited. You don't make fun of people's homes. Especially your friends."

"Sorry."

"Oliver, happy birthday. I'm going to go make sure Flower doesn't rip your moms head off." The boy then rushed over to where the two women were having a heated argument.

"He specifically asked for no party! Yet here we are!"

"He didn't want one because he is insecure. I wanted to help him realize he shouldn't be."