Chapter 8 - In a Tiny, Wooden Cabin

It was now 12:30 AM, and the dark midnight sky had started to fade in. Catnap and Dogday left the shore at 11:00 PM and decided to walk around Sunset Beach. A lot of people went off, whether if it was going back to their home or to their cabins. It was perfect. There was now no one to disturb them. During that time, they went around the nearby woods to let time pass.

Huge oak trees were at every direction. The air felt moist, and lime-green leaves fell down and touched the ground lightly. The sound of crickets were here and there as Catnap and Dogday trailed off and explored.

"The woods feel great," Catnap said as he looked up at the long branches creating a ceiling above them, "don't you think so, Dogday?"

"Yeah! Honestly, I've never walked in the dark before."

"Really? You should do it someday, it's calming."

"I'll only do it when I'm with you. It's scary when I'm alone."

Catnap laughed and held Dogday's hand. They then walked further into the serene woods and the moon followed them.

Dogday grew sleepier as they ventured out for longer. Catnap didn't mind, though. He was used to staying up late. He stays up in their house until 2:00 AM (only sometimes) just to know if everyone is sleeping well. Which is probably why he tends to sleep during the day.

He [Dogday] started to blink slowly and close his eyes. Catnap noticed this and tapped him on his arm.

"Dogday..." Catnap called, and Dogday blankly stared at a bush, trying not to close his eyes.

"Dogday."

No response.

"Dogday!"

"H-Huh-what?" Dogday got startled and jumped.

"Is there anything wrong?" Catnap looked concerned.

"No, I'm just sleepy. That's all."

"Oh, why didn't you tell me before?" Catnap turned away from the direction going deeper into the woods, "If you want to go to the cabin, just tell me."

"U-Uh... well," Dogday hesitated back and paused, "if it's not a problem, of course."

"It isn't, don't worry," Catnap insisted and started walking out if the woods.

He reached out his arm to Dogday, who was just standing in that same spot, "Are you coming?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah!"

Dogday grabbed Catnap and followed him out of the woods.

An hour later, they arrived at the Cabins. Their friends' Cabins were neighbouring beside it. Catnap grabbed the key and opened the Cabin, where they would stay for the week.
It revealed itself proudly with its warm, charamingly dull colors. The furniture looked pleasing, and almost everything was made out of wood and logs. As the two stepped in, they got greeted by a refreshing cold breeze created by the air conditioner just below the roof. They both noticed their bags piled up together on their bed. The other smiling Critters had placed them there.

"Looks like we'll be sleeping together for the week," Catnap said happily. He went to get his suitcase and opened it cautiously.

Dogday said as he yawned, "Yaay!"

He then went to Catnap to help him unpack everything. He put their clothes in the cabinet, Catnap put their bags just above the dressers, and they put everything else everywhere they all should be.
Dogday then went to the bathroom to brush his teeth.

Pssh! The toothbrush rustled as it ran through Dogday's teeth.

Pssh!

Catnap could hear the water rushing from the faucet in the bathroom as he groomed his fur before going to bed. He looked at a small mirror placed on a large rectangular table in front of the bed.
After Dogday brushed his teeth, he washed his face and stepped out of the bathroom. He then fixed and fluffed the pillows on the bed.
He stretched out his arms and flopped himself on the bed. He unfolded the pulled the blanket on himself sluggishly and lied down.

"Dogday, why are you so sleepy?" Catnap giggled as he looked at him through the mirror.

"Catnap, what do you mean?" Dogday pointed to the clock above the television, "It's almost 1:00 AM..."

"Oh, right," Catnap continued to giggle.

Catnap finished grooming himself and stood up as he pushed the seat. He walked to the door and closed the lights.
The room darkened all around, but was partially brightened by the glow of the moon and the stars. Catnap walked to the bed and sat on the mattress on their bed. He looked out from the window to see the stars.

"Aren't you going to sleep?" Dogday asked as he turned around to face Catnap.

"I'll make sure you sleep nicely first."

"Hmph," Dogday suddenly looked all stern again, "remember what I told you this morning?"

"What? Why do you look so mad now?"

"I told you. You have to sleep! It's bad to sleep late, and I don't like seeing you all sleepy in the morning. You go to sleep with me, now. Okay?"

Catnap smiled and lied down with Dogday on the bed, "Okay," he said sweetly.

"So, are you going to do what I said?" Dogday pinched Catnap's cheek affectionately.

"Yes, yes."

Catnap gaped his jaw and red smoke began to emerge out of his mouth. It slowly covered the room, his mouth still open.
Dogday started to feel weird; he felt lightheaded, and his eyelids started to feel heavy. They began to droop down. Dogday's shoulders rested and soon he was in a deep sleep.
Catnap closed his jaw and looked at Dogday, who was fast asleep. He smiled and stared as he snored quietly.

"Oh, Dogday," Catnap began to talk to himself, "you seem to care about me much more than I expected, and I care about you the same way, too."

"But I simply just... can't feel this way about you, Dogday. Even if you're the..."

"Sweetest..."

"Most adorable..." Catnap let that sit for a little.

"The brightest sunshine in my life."

"Wait, what am I saying?" Catnap tried to shake the thoughts about Dogday away, "I'm j-just... sleepy, like Dogday said!"

Catnap pulled the blanket on top of him. It covered his mouth and nose. He then turned around to Dogday. Well, he thought, it wouldn't hurt to just... hold his paw, right?
Catnap grabbed and held his paw in a slight embarrassment. He closed his eyes and fell asleep to the sound of the night.