Chapter 19 - The First Misunderstanding

Catnap didn't know whether to smile or frown when he saw his letter.

Kickinchicken found him in Sunshine Café a while ago, meanwhile, Hoppy Hopscotch gave Dogday his letter.
Catnap was in the corner, and he looked like he didn't actually order anything. He just… sat there. Kickinchicken walked to him, tapped him on his back, and just simply handed him the letter.

The envelope had stickers, drawings, and doodles all around it. Typical Dogday, Catnap thought, But why couldn't he tell me in person? Is that how angry he is at me?

“Yo, Catnap,” Kickinchicken said, breaking the silence between them, and Catnap turned his head slowly.

Catnap gestured, “Why, Kickinchicken?“ he faintly smiled.

“That's from Dogday.“

“I know, I can tell. These stickers, these doodles, and these drawings… they were definetely put by Dogday,” Catnap gestured, “But something is off.“

Kickinchicken gulped, “W-Well, maybe you should open it?“

Mhm,” Catnap nodded. He slowly removed the sticker that sealed the envelope and pulled the letter out.

“Dear Bestest Friend Catnap,

I want to invite you to SeaShell's Cuisine and Paradise! It's a new, cool, amazing all-you-can-eat buffet! If you're asking why I'm inviting you here:

A while ago, at Sunshine Café, when I went to you, you just dodged me. I didn't know why, and I felt terrible. I just want to talk to you about this whole thing. I hope you understand!

You're still my best friend, you know. I just want to know if there is anything happening with you.

I'll be at Table A8, waiting! I'll probably be humming a tune. Hehe!

Love,
Dogday”

Catnap folded the letter again and tucked it in the envelope. He set it on the table. Yes, I know, I'm still your best friend, he thought, and that is all I will be to you.

It wasn't that Catnap secretly hated Dogday, or the that he never wanted to be best friends in the first place. He just wanted more, but he couldn't just force Dogday, could he? It would have just been too cruel.

Catnap looked at Kickinchicken, who was impatiently waiting for him to say something, not like Catnap wanted to talk.

Dogday…” Catnap started to say by his actions, “he gave this letter, for you to deliver to me?“

Kickinchicken nodded.

So, he didn't bother to tell me in person,” Catnap fidgeted, which was an uncommon thing for him to do, “Do you know where that 'SeaShell's Cuisine and Paradise' is?“

“Uh… well, n-no,” Kickinchicken stuttered.

Catnap gave no reply, he just nodded in understandment. He took a deep breath, and stood up from his table.

Let's go,” he simply gestured by waving his hand towards the exit, despite his mixed feelings, “We will just find it ourselves then. I don't want to dissapoint Dogday.“

Dogday rushed around the entire Sunset Beach, as if he even knew where he was going. He panted every few seconds, he could've tripped for who knows how many times, but he still kept going.