Chapter 24 - Dogday and the Talking Tree

The rest of the smiling critters were in the shore. It was everyone's favorite place to be in whenever they payed Sunset Beach a visit, anyway.

Bobby Bearhug collected shells, but she wouldn't tell why. She currently had sixteen scallop shells, since those were really common, eight cowrie shells, and 15 clam shells.
Hoppy Hopscotch was helping her, but she tried to find sticks instead. Surprisingly, she found quite a lot. She wouldn't tell why she collected them, either.

Kickinchicken decided this was a great time to surf; the tide was nicely high, and the waves were strong. Good thing he packed it. He had not surfed in such a long time.
He brought out the surfboard from the sand into his arms and walked to the ocean.

“Kickinchicken!“ Hoppy Hopscotch called out as she laid the sticks beside each-other on the sand, just next to the shells gathered in one pile.

“Yo?“ Kickinchicken turned his whole body to face her.

“Where are you going?!“

“Surfing!“ he held out the surfboard to show her. “Wanna watch me?“

“Ooh!“ Hoppy Hopscotch's eyes lit up. “Bobby Bearhug?“

“Go for it, Hoppy,” she smiled.

Hoppy Hopscotch cheered out loud and ran to Kickinchicken. Once she was beside him, they set off to the ocean.

Once they were at the closest to the ocean, Kickinchicken got ready by getting on the surfboard, and started to surf.

The waves were, Kickinchicken thought, absolutely perfect for him. They weren't too rough, but not too gentle and easy. Kickinchicken does not do gentle and easy.

The water splashed on his feathers and the air felt like it was lifting him up. He loved it. (Well, he hadn't surfed on water for a while. He missed the feeling. He almost forgot what it was even like to surf.)

“Woohoo!“ Kickinchicken lifted his hands up in the air, still retaining his balance. “This is awesome!“

“Go, Kickinchicken!“ Hoppy Hopscotch shouted, and half of the beach heard her, “How's the weather over there?!“

“It's like a whole different feeling! I haven't felt this good in such a long time!“

As they had their fun and ignored their surroundings, Dogday, Bubba Bubbaphant, and Craftycorn walked over to them, all having upset, negative looks on their faces. PickyPiggy was beside them, but she, in an instant, aimed for Sunshine Café the moment she remembered it.

Dogday had the biggest frown, and the two others were frowning just because of his frown. Seperate thoughts lingered in their minds.

“Bubba Bubbaphant? Craftycorn? Dogday?“ Bobby Bearhug caught them all in her sight. “Why, hello! Woke up a little late?“

“No. Actually,” Dogday replied, “We woke up at six in the morning.“

“What?“ Bobby Bearhug never heard of Dogday waking up this early before. It had quite the shock on her, but frankly, should she be shocked, or should she be proud?

“Mhm,” Bubba Bubbaphant began, “Catnap ran away.“

Bobby Bearhug gasped out loud and stood up from her chair. Dogday sighed, Craftycorn nodded, and Bubba Bubbaphant gave no more than a sideway glance at the ocean.

Bobby Bearhug, unsurprisingly, thought the same thing: Sure, Catnap is the mysterious one, and I don't mind. He doesn't talk to anyone except Dogday, but him running away? That's proposterous! Something definetely upset him!