Chapter 21 - A Cat's Dream

Catnap snoozed on the bed, which felt nicely, perfectly cool. He seemed to be sleeping lightly, for some reason. Maybe secretly thinking about him, and the whole situation.

He faced away from Dogday, who stayed awake. (This was not like him. He never stays awake during the latest hours of the night.)

He looked out from the window, and watched multiple stars as they glittered. Some faded away, and then faded in again.

Oh, Catnap, thought Dogday. He looked over his shoulder to see Catnap slightly shuddering in his sleep, I see why you would stay awake, the stars are beautiful. I still admire who you are, you know.

Dogday smiled at Catnap, despite the fact that he wouldn't know. He [Dogday] stroked his fur gently, making Catnap's tail unconciously swing up, and then down.

As Catnap slept, he dreamed.

Maybe that was the reason he slept so lightly tonight, Dogday figured.

Catnap slowly blinked, then opened his eyes. He felt strangely fuzzy, and funny, he also felt a little hot. He groaned to the strange feeling.

He rubbed his eyes and looked at his surroundings. He felt like he was floating a few feet from the air, even if he could see that his feet were secured, thanks to the tall, green, fluffy grass. The sky around him was a graceful ombre which switched from purple to orange. Some highlights of pink were scattered across the sky, too. Fragments of white clouds spreaded, blending in beautifully.

Catnap slowly got on his knees. His fist knocked his head, to make sure that he was awake.

Am I awake? Thought Catnap.

Flowers were planted in the field, and the horizon seemed endless. Catnap liked it—it was calming.

He then heard echoing footsteps, getting louder everytime.

The figure looked like Dogday, his best friend. He ran to Catnap and affectionately held his shoulders.

“Catnap!“ Dogday said. Somehow, his voice still echoed, ”I'm so glad you're here.“

Dogday hugged him tightly, and Catnap hugged back, slightly blushing.

“Come, I have lots to show you,” Dogday continued, and held his hand. Catnap flinched.

“Where… am I?“ Catnap shook his head.

“You're in…”

Dogday continued to talk, but for some reason, everything he said didn't make any sense. Dogday looked confident on what he was saying, but to Catnap, it was just gibberish. He decided to just try and forget about that later.

“Well, Catnap, follow me! Come, quickly.“ Dogday started to stroll with Catnap, still holding each-other's hands.

As they walked, Catnap could see the huge sun glimmering. Everything got struck by its light.

Dogday went silent, and turned his head with Catnap.

“Oh, isn't the sun so, so, so pretty?“ Dogday said cheerfully. His tail wagged.

“Yes…” Catnap looked into his eyes, “Yes, it is, Dogday.“

Dogday urged Catnap to sit down on the field with him. Catnap knew he couldn't resist; he instantly sat beside him, and unconciously put his hand on top of Dogday's. Like he did sometimes.

When he wasn't dreaming.

Dogday leaned on Catnap's shoulder, making him freeze. He moved his hand on the back of Dogday's head.

The sky grew more orange as the sun started to set.

Dogday tapped Catnap's arm, “Look, the sun is setting!“

“Yes, it is a nice view,” Catnap replied.

Everything felt brief and fast-paced, but slow at the same time. Catnap wasn't sure why, but he loved being in this place.

And he loved the view.

And he loved how Dogday was with him.

It would be nice if he had been ever so brave enough to tell him.

Catnap looked at Dogday, who was only focused on the sun.

Should I tell him? he thought, Will he understand?

Catnap took a deep breath, and gathered all his courage. He waited until the earliest hours of evening. (It didn't take that long. The sun was already setting, anyway.)

20 minutes later, they continued to watch the sky. The sun had sunk away and the night sky had faded in. Stars belonging to the night shined and twinkled. They circled the moon, which was formed to a crescent.

The sky was beautiful, but Catnap enjoyed how Dogday looked at it more than the view itself.

“Dogday…” Catnap broke the serene silence, “I have something to tell you.“

“Hm?“ Dogday smiled.

“Uh,” Catnap took a deep breath. “Promise me you won't… freak out, or anything.“

“What is it?“

“Mmh…” Catnap shifted in his spot.

Dogday smiled, held Catnap's face, and turned it to face him, “It's okay, tell me.“

“You have always been my best friend, and you will continue to be,” Catnap begun. Dogday grinned widely in appreciation. “B-But… I don't want to be that,” Catnap paused.

“What?“ Dogday's eyes widened. He was not expecting that.

“No, no! Please don't get the wrong idea,” Catnap trembled, “I mean, I want to be more than that. I know it isn't like me to say such a thing… but, I can't help it.“

“Catnap…” the shine in Dogday's eyes suddenly went away. “What?“

Catnap gave no reply, and grew more than nervous.

“Catnap, I love the fact that we are best friends, but I can't,” Dogday looked away from him. “I thought you knew better, I'm so sorry.“

“Why?“ Catnap asked.

“Because I… just don't,” Dogday's voice sounded quieter, he looked at him again. “I don't feel that for you.“

“I know. I thought so,” Catnap said, his chest starting to hurt.

“Then, why did you tell me?“ Dogday stood up. “If this is how you're going to feel for me for the rest of your life…” he held Catnap's hand.

“I'm sorry,” that was all Catnap could bring out.

Dogday didn't answer his apology, “Maybe you just need to be alone. Maybe we aren't meant to be.“

That was all Dogday said, before he left Catnap sitting on the grass, and left him. Right there, right at that moment. Catnap felt a sense of guilt fill his entire body.

Then he woke up, crying.