82. Dont Eat Me Mr. Dragon

''Go to bed.' Rhaenyra insisted coming up to her children.

''But, Mother...'' Luke whined

''Go to bed.'' Rhaenyra said again.

"It is getting late." Avalon realized. "Come on Alyssa, its past your bedtime. Aegon- Helaena, where did your brother run off to?" Helaena shrugged. "Aemond, Vaera, bed time please, I will pop in for tuck ins in a bit," Aemond nodded linking his hand with Vaera.

"Come on Helaena." Aemond agreed. Helaena chased after them.

"Ali, love where did Aegon run off to?" Avalon questioned.

"I dont-"

''I'm going to bed, Aemma.'' Viserys remarked and Alicent stared at him a moment. Avalon cleared her throat confused. Viserys moved to kiss Avalon's cheek. "Goodnight my dearest Avalon."

"Night Vis," Avalon whispered before glancing to a pinch faced Alicent.

''Shall I see after Queen Alicent and Queen Avalon Your Grace?'' ser Harrold asked, making sure to annunciate Alicent.

''No, Ser Harrold. You have the night's watch, Ser Criston.'' Viserys told him. Avalon held onto Alicent's hand, she didnt know why it hurt so much but it did.

''Yes, Lord Commander.'' Criston agreed.

"I got Alyssa," Alicent took her from Avalon's hands. "Come here cutie pie.... oh Father." Alicent commanded. "Find Aegon." She instructed before heading off.

"I should speak with Corlys and RHaenys again, I didnt get much of a chance." Avalon remarked staring after Viserys again. She chased after Alicent. "It's late and dark and he had a drink-"

"It's fine Avalon, I promise. Just... hurts a little but I have you." Alicent reminded her. "you are all I ever wanted and more." Avalon gave a small nod as she kissed ALyssa's head.

"Night mama."

"Night baby girl."

''Brother?'' Otto grabbed his grandson pulling him along, stumbling drunk. Aegon grunted as he was dragged along

''Get to bed.'' Otto hissed. He was hand of the king again and he was babysitting delinquents.

''Tis desire for the throne, if not for yourself, then for the scions of your house.'' Corlys countered.

''I gave up the idea of wearing a crown a generation ago. It is you, lord husband, who refuses to abandon this pursuit, even now, at the cost of our children.''

''What is this brief mortal life... if not the pursuit of legacy?'' Corlys countered through the wailing of the wind across the waters around them.

''Legacy may be why you live your life, Corlys. I want Driftmark to pass through Laena's line to Baela. To true Velaryon blood. Declare it now, while all are gathered here, and we will say that is how we will honor Laena's memory.''

''And disinherit our son? You would have me cast an even darker shadow over those little boys than already exists.'' Corlys spat. Their daughter was gone, yes but they still had a son.

''We are alone here, husband. You can speak the plain truth as we both know it: Rhaenyra's children are not of your blood. But Laena's are. They are her legacy.'' Rhaenys reminded him bitterly.

''History does not remember blood. It remembers names.'' Corlys reminded her as Avalon knocked on the door.

"I wanted to offer my sincerest condolences." Avalon remarked. "Laena was a bright girl, sweet, always loved Dragons, reminded me of Aemond in that manner, she finally got one."

"And it was the death of her."

"She died a dragon riders death." Avalon countered.

"Because of your brother."

"Because of the baby.... yes. Because of my brother in a sense." She agreed. 

Aemond knew that Laena had a dragon and it would be his. Vaera didnt know about this, they were breaking their mothers direct directions to go to bed.

"Aemond are you- and you are already running." Vaera murmured as Aemond ran over the beaches and he saw it. Vhagar. Vhagar was sleeping, breathing deeply her breath blowing the sand from his face as Aemond approached.

"Slow down! Dont do this! You want to get eaten?" Vaera demanded.

"I want a dragon, Vaera." Aemond corrected.

"So do I but... Aemond..." Vaera whined nervously, she shifted from foot to foot.

Vhagar snorted, her deep exhales, Aemond thought she could swallow him up in a single breath if Vhagar wanted to. Aemond reached for the ropes and Vhagar woke, she snorted out at Aemond, he had to be brave he stood tall and strong. Vaera quivered back, she wasnt ready for a dragon. Aegon had claimed sunfyre and Helaena dreamfyre but she wasnt ready for this kind of horror.  Vhagar went back to sleep. Aemond tried again, Vhagar lifted her head, opened her mouth, Aemond stared at the fire boiling in the back of her throat.

"OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!"  Vaera shouted stumbling back landing on her ass as she tried to scurry away. "I dont want to die!"

'' Dohaeras!'' Aemond shouted. ''Dohaeras, Vhagar!'' Aemond demanded and Vhagar settled. ''Lykiri! Lykiri!'' Vhagar quieted ''Lykiri.'' Vhagar inhaled deeply allowed Aemond to climb up.

"What the hell are you doing!" Vaera shouted.

"I'm claiming a dragon vaera!" Aemond demanded.  He gripped the ropes and the saddle tightly he felt the heavy purr of Vhagar under him.

"Um... no. This is a bad idea, what if you fall off? What if she doesnt want you to claim her? What if-"

"What if this is my only chance! Vaera I have to take it!" Aemond corrected.

"Dont die!" Vaera begged.

''Soves!'' Aemond declared and Vhagar grumbled ''Dohaeras, Vhagar! Soves! Ah!'' Aemond screamed out in fear and joy as Vhagar took to the sky. Sweeping over the city. 

"GO AEMOND!" Vaera shouted out before hearing grumbling from behind her. "Oh shoot, Aemond return her! She has a boyfriend!" Vaera shouted back. "Oh shoot, oh shoot, oh," she started backing up. SHe didnt recognize this dragon. "Grey Ghost? Silver- nope... AEMOND!" Vaera shrieked a deafening scream but Aemond could not hear her above the clouds. "Vhagar was getting busy with Cannibal!"

The large and most ferocious dragon strut towards her and Vaera felt her heart stop.

"Dont eat me mr dragon I want to live to be double digits. I'm only nine." Vaera whimpered. "Please. Please, just take pity on me." She kept backing up but it was no use he growled hot steam blowing back at her. "NO!" She demanded. "I'm a fucking dragon and you will not eat me! I'm in charge here my mommy is the queen and you will not eat me or else she will roast your bones you fucker!" Vaera demanded. Cannibal seemed to stop and stare assessing the little girl. "Oh crap... I'm really to little to be a snack." SHe added softly. He lowered his large head, she could see his rows of teeth more clearly now before he growled out at her. She tried not to flinch, she tried to be brave but her eyes sealed shut and she cringed back just slightly.

"I dont want a dragon anymore." Vaera whispered. "I want a little kitten or a mouse or... something that can't eat me... Aegon? Aegon?" Vaera whimpered as if he could hear her pleas. "Help me Aegon..."

"Vaera Vaera did you see me?" Aemond questioned hearing footsteps coming from the pits. "Vaera? I- oh..."

"You!" Baela spat.

"Me?" Aemond countered confused. "Where is Vaera?"

"You stole my mothers dragon!"

"Stole?" Aemond scoffed.  "No. I claimed her."