90. Breaks Like a Heart

Getaway Car/ House of the dragon out now!

Avalon wished she would have went to check on Viserys that night but she was so wound up that she needed a walk and then the lights were out and she didnt want to wake up but when she woke they were greeted with the most unfortunate news. Avalon moved like a ghost through the darkened halls her feet sluggish but her heart fast as she moved to Viserys chambers. 

Alicent was told next.  Alicent went at once to the king's bedchamber, accompanied by Ser Criston, he had been guarding her door that night. Even though both women usually shared a bed this night had been one in need of some solitude for them both. Once they had confirmed that Viserys was dead, Alicent ordered his room sealed and placed under guard. Avalon didnt move from viserys side, she wept and wept and wept. 

The serving man who had found the king's body was taken into custody, to make certain he did not spread the tale. Ser Criston returned to White Sword Tower and sent his brothers of the Kingsguard to summon the members of the king's small council. It was the hour of the owl.

Avalon stayed with the king. 

They all knew his death was coming but Avalon wasnt ready to live in a world without Viserys. She had Viserys in her life from the moment she was born, she didnt want to know a world without him. Aeron and Alice would forget him and Vaera- oh Vaera, she loved Viserys most in the world. She was going to be just as heartbroken as Avalon was. She had to tell the kids but she couldnt find the strength to move. 

Avalon watched as Mouse stood at the top of the hill. She couldnt burn Viserys. She couldnt. They were supposed to have more years together he was supposed to be healthy damn it, he was supposed to live. He wasnt that old his body was just weak, the maesters were stupid. Alyssa leaned back into her as she stared at Viserys wrapped up body.

''Aemond.'' Avalon whispered. ''Mouse can't I can't-'' she whimpered. Aemond kissed her temple.

"Sunfyre." He suggested nudging Aegon. Vhagar would burn them all unintentionally of course. "Dont worry mum."

Avalon stood long after viserys body was ash, the flames burned out and the embers gone cold before she allowed herself to be led back in. 

This world can hurt you it cut deep and leaves a scar but nothing breaks like a heart.

+

Avalon waited for someone to say no. stop. This is not right. A queen cannot rule alone. But no one did. The council was in agreement, they had agreed a long time ago that Avalon would make a good heir and queen when Viserys passed. Viserys named her heir and she had proved to be a good leader and a good wife and mother. Avalon just wished Viserys was here, that he was healthy and filled with life and she didn't have to take this weight. But she had to admit the power of the throne was tempting. 

"You look beautiful." Aemond told her as she stared at him through the mirror.

"Thank you honey." Avalon said flattening down her dress again. "It feels strange. I never wanted this. Not like Rhaenyra, not like Daemon.... but Viserys gave it to me."

"You are going to make a great queen mama." Aemond assured. 

Alicent appeared at Avalons door and helped her finish getting ready. Avalon was a bundle of nerves and her heart still hurt. 

"It is your great good fortune and privilege to be here to witness this: a new day for our city... a new day for our realm. Our Queen... to lead us." Criston declared.

''May the Warrior give her courage. May the Smith lend strength to her sword and shield. May the Father defend her in her need." Septon Eustace began. ''May the Crone lift her shining lamp and light her way to wisdom." Criston stepped forward the crown in hand.

"The crown of Viserys the peaceful, passed down through generations." Criston spoke as Avalon breathed deeply awaiting the crown be placed on her head, the burden that she was about to receive. ''Let the Seven bear witness: Avalon Targaryen is the true heir to the Iron Throne." Criston announced putting the crown on Avalon's head.

It all happened so fast. Viserys was dead and the world moved on but her heart was still broken and now this weight on her chest had shifted to head, a literal crown. This wasnt the love story she wanted, one where she was estranged from her niece and the boys. One where Viserys was sick and dead. Where she couldnt find the strength to hold her head up. Alicent seemed to understand and moved to her side holding her hand. 

"Long Live the Queen."

Love Story // Viserys Targaryen // Alicent Hightower / POLYजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें