chapter twenty-one - toothbrush

NATE'S P.O.V.

The morning came with the sound of rain pattering against the room's windows. It was loud enough to notice, but not so much so that it was disruptive. It was the first thing Nate heard as he woke up. He stretched out his body as he slowly remembered where he was. Memories of himself drinking and smoking flashed into his mind, and he was reminded of why exactly he was in a bed unlike his own. His eyelids fluttered open as they let in the light. Luckily, he didn't feel any symptoms of a hangover besides being particularly groggy. He sat up—stretching his arms out to his sides. As he let his right-hand fall onto the space beside him, the blankets were flat as if no one ever touched them. He didn't know why he expected Theodore to be there, but he did. Theodore must've slept on the floor like he offered originally.

"Theodore?" Nate called out, unsure of where the man was.

Footsteps coming from the kitchen became louder as he got closer. Nate smiled just thinking of being around Theodore again. He sat up in bed.

"Good morning," Theodore spoke—Nate hearing the grin in his voice. "How did you sleep?"

"Hard. Very hard," he yawned. "What time is it?"

"Only nine. You fell asleep around midnight. How are you feeling?"

"Good actually, just tired."

"That's great. I'm surprised that you're not sick, you were pretty fucked up last night."

Nate thought about the night and remembered everything. He remembered his talk with Lex, and Theodore picking him up. He remembered Theodore giving him a piggyback ride up the stairs, making him waffles and getting him to bed shortly thereafter. He remembered actually flirting with Theodore and embarrassing himself by telling the other man how much he adored him. He remembered calling Theodore "Theo", and how Theodore reacted to it. He remembered Theodore grabbing his hand and holding it tightly for way longer than was necessary. He remembered that—moments before he fell asleep—Theodore brushed the hair from his eyes. He remembered all of it, and he didn't know if he hated or loved that he did.

"God, I'm..." he spoke with an utter loss of words. "I'm so sorry."

Theodore's feet shuffled around the bed until Nate felt Theodore sit beside him.

"Please don't be sorry," Theodore insisted.

"No, seriously, I made a fool of myself, and-"

"Nate, you didn't-"

"And I was so embarrassing, and-"

"Nate!" Theodore emphasized. "You didn't make a fool of yourself, and you weren't embarrassing. You were really sweet and cute and funny."

Nate felt as if he got punched in the chest. Did Theodore really just call him cute?

"I've never seen you that outspoken before. I loved it."

The heat rose onto Nate's cheeks. "I get a lot of liquid courage."

"Well, I think you should get some actual courage. I mean, I like you just the way you are, but I like it when you're not reserved."

"Thank you. I appreciate you taking care of me as much as you did. You really didn't have to do that."

"But I wanted to. I would be so worried about you otherwise. You should've seen me when you weren't able to go up the stairs; I was freaking the fuck out."

"Can't, got no eyesight, remember?"

Theodore scoffed. "Yes, I remember, you asshole. I was just saying that figuratively."