Chapter 13: Bridgerton Ball

The Ball

Just as everyone had anticipated, the Bridgerton Ball is one to attend for. It was so grand that all the invited guests were only able to admire in awe as they see the beautiful decorations enveloping all the corners of the estate with good lighting and different fresh flowers of blue following the theme of the night.

The refreshments and snacks offered are also superb and more than adequate to accommodate all the noble families sent with an invitation. The orchestra hired by the viscountess was one among the best in London, and the circus entertainers were quite skillful and funny much to the enjoyment of all the members of the ton. It was needless to say, that this event organized by the new Viscountess Kate Bridgerton, had truly been a success.

"Ah Mrs. Bridgerton! I believe congratulations are in order. Your daughter-in-law had truly showed up for her title." Lady Danbury came, greeting Violet along with her cane.

"Lady Danbury, glad you were able to attend." Violet nods as she greets the Queen's closest aide.

"Of course, this old lady would never miss this for anything." A mischievous smile forms on the acerbic woman's lips. As the two women continued to have a light conversation, Violet seemed to notice Agatha's eyes wandering off to all corners of the hall.

"Are you looking for a specific someone, Lady Danbury?"

Agatha seemed to put her focus back to Violet as the latter gets her attention. "Forgive me, Mrs. Bridgerton. I was just merely checking if Lord Debling has arrived on the scene."

This turned Violet curious as she seems to hear much about Debling's name frequently. "For what reason, Lady Danbury? Is he under your care?" Mrs. Bridgerton asks the famed old woman as it has been common for her to sponsor young ones to the society. Just as she did with the Sharmas last season.

"Thomas Debling, under my care? Surely, you all must have misunderstood Violet. If anything, I would be the one under his feet." Danbury's remark made the former viscountess look at her questionably. It is common knowledge among the high society what power Agatha Danbury holds at the ton. And for her to be deemed inferior to someone, other than from the royals of course, is such a thought unheard of.

"What ever do you mean, Lady Danbury?"

"You see, this is not something I should be openly saying. But I know you, Violet, since you're young. And so, I will share with you." Violet leaned closer to the old lady as to prepare herself from any juicy information Agatha would be pronouncing from her sharp tongue.

"Lord Debling, is such an affluent man. The Queen favors him dearly, even more so than her own princes. The man is just pure humble not to have it shown to the entire ton. But believe me when I say, he is truly a powerful man by his birth right." Agatha proudly says.

"That makes sense. He is an Earl. He even outranks my Anthony." Lady Danbury can only share a mischievous glance towards Violet. She would like to correct Mrs. Bridgerton's statement but she knew better to withhold her thoughts.

She then continues, "But of course, even powerful men can be weak when it comes to the ladies. Enter my role, to help the poor lad."

Violet then realized why Danbury is in search for the man. For Debling who is being favored by her Majesty the Queen herself, it would be Agatha's task to help the man secure a good marriage partner. Images of Penelope Featherington suddenly entered her mind. The Queen had announced for Penelope to be the jewel of the season and he just heard from her son Colin, that the Earl of Beverley had been courting the young Featherington girl.