Chapter 14: Lesson Learned

Lesson Learned

The night has rather been eventful. Every one was merry and there seemed to be perfection that was planned for the entire evening. Save from one of the Bridgerton ladies. Eloise had retired early for the night as she had never been one to take pleasure in attending balls. She politely excused herself with the permission of her mama and her sister-in-law, the new Viscountess Bridgerton. Eloise had somehow been able to endure these kinds of balls for the past two seasons, mainly because of the company of her dearest best friend Penelope Featherington. Together, they share the same feelings of just wanting to become a spinster. Or so, she thought.

Since her discovery of Penelope's identity as the anonymous Lady Whistledown, Eloise had never spoken to her friend. They ended up with an argument and had said harsh words to each other. She had always been by her side and seeing now that Penelope was able to blossom as a true lady in society, makes her feel proud of her friend. Proud and regretful at the same time. Eloise had always wanted to celebrate everything with Pen, and now that their friendship had taken a crack, she can only see her dear good friend from afar. Over their vacation, the second Bridgerton daughter had realized why Penelope, as Lady Whistledown, had to write the column issue about her. She had pondered these past months what the Queen may have done so, if she were to submit herself and take claim on Whistledown's identity. But even after accepting herself that it was the soundest choice Penelope could have, Eloise could not find the strength to speak and face her childhood friend, as stubborn as she is. After all, she had just called Penelope Featherington an insipid wallflower right to her face.

"I will take my leave now, mama." Eloise says as she removes her presence away from the banquet hall, leaving her mother Violet Bridgerton in the company of Lady Danbury.

Violet did not even respond in return to her daughter Eloise's withdrawal as her attention was rather fixed on the dance floor.

"Good heavens, I had truly wished for you to be my daughter." She softly whispers to herself after letting out a brief sigh.

"I beg your pardon?" Agatha Danbury's voice seem to waken Violet from her trance.

"Oh, did you say me something Lady Danbury?" Violet asked the acerbic woman, not realizing that she has been talking to herself.

"I'm sure my ears have not deceived me Mrs. Bridgerton. I suppose you have uttered something about being your daughter." Lady Danbury looked at her suspiciously, before taking a glance to where the former viscountess had been affectionately staring at.

"Oh, it was nothing Agatha. Just a passing thought."

"Was it, really?" Agatha knew it was something more than just a passing thought. "Well, I could not agree more how it would be pleasing to have Miss Featherington as a daughter."

Violet returned Danbury's remark with a raise in her brows. She has not mentioned the young lady's name, but still Lady Danbury was able to figure out who it was on Violet's mind.

"Ha! Did you think I have not noticed how affectionately you have been staring at the young lassie?" The old sharp woman laughed graciously at the Bridgerton matriarch. The latter had come to mother eight wonderful children of nobility and yet, Violet seemed to desire for one particular ginger head.

Violet smiled innocently at the Queen's aide. She could not deny Lady Danbury's words as she was caught red-handedly.

"You have read my mind, Agatha. Miss Featherington is such a treat for a daughter, indeed." Violet kept herself from telling the woman that she had been wanting to have Penelope as a daughter-in-law rather, as she knew that Agatha had been trying to assist the Earl of Beverley in securing the young Featherington's hand for marriage.