Chapter 18: The Queen's Ball

A week had passed since Penelope Featherington went out to Hyde Park to promenade with her suitor, Lord Debling. Though the man had been vocal about his interest in her, he was unable to come visit and call on the youngest Featherington for the recent week as the latter caught up with a cold and fever. The dowager baroness had instructed Penelope to take her rest up on her bedchambers until any signs of ill would be removed from her person. After all, it would be such a shame if she, as the proclaimed jewel of the season, were to be missing on the Queen's mid-season ball.

Moreover, Penelope kept on repeating the events that took place at her leisure walk. Her conversation with Colin Bridgerton, him telling her his intentions of courtship kept on ringing in her head, making the headaches worse for the past days.

"Miss Penelope, a parcel has arrived with your name on it." Penelope heard her maid, Lily, knocking on the doors of her bedchambers.

"Come in." The redhead stood up from the settee as she could see the servant putting a large box at the edge of her bed.

"What is that, Lily?" Penelope asks her maid despite her idea on what the big parcel was. With its big rectangular size of a box, she gathered it may be a dress. But the pattern and the color of the said box were different from that of Madame Delacroix' shop.

"A dress, my lady." The youngest Featherington were not even surprised that their servant had already known what the content of the package was. For Penelope knew that with the nature of her mother; the baroness had already checked the delivery before it made its way to her.

"I do not think we have commissioned a new one from the modiste.." There was confusion from the redhead's tone.

"It was from a suitor, Miss Penelope. From a Lord Thomas Debling." Lily enthusiastically says. One could tell from the maid's expression how excited she is for her lady to receive such a grand gift from a wooer. "Should I open it, miss?

"I think we should." Penelope was also expectant to see what the clothing would look like. After all, it was the first time she received such kind of gift.

Lily removed the cover of the box and gently pulled the dress to lay it onto her lady's bed. It was a beautiful champagne blue ball gown. Its neckline was low yet relatively accepted within society rules. The design was highly elaborate but not too loud unlike the usual designs Lady Featherington imposes on her daughter's dresses. The fabrics used were of high quality; a combination of satin, velvet and silk with metallic trims. The hem of the dress was accentuated with beadwork and lace. The cut was exquisite, narrow fitting to the part where it would highlight Penelope's curves. Silver linings and butterfly embroidery were embellished on the bust area, giving a nod to the Featheringtons' family sigil. The waist belt also had pearls stitched to them. Lord Debling had also included an Ivory fan and a pair of gloves with the same hue of the dress' colors.

"Oh, Miss Penelope! It is so beautiful! Lord Debling must have a really good taste!" Lily blurted out happily. She feels thrilled to have her lady wear such an extravagant and glamorous dress for an outing.

"Yes, it truly is." Penelope was equally happy and astonished by the earl's gift. She thought that as long as her clothing would be freed from the obnoxious floral patterns of yellow, it can be considered pretty. But seeing such a magnificent garb in front of her eyes, makes her new wardrobe seem like plain dresses of a common folk.

"Oh, my lady. A note." Lily hands Penelope a handwritten note that was included in all the contents of the box. Penelope Featherington gently grabs it and a pink blush on her cheeks appeared soon enough.

-x-

My Dearest Miss Featherington,

I hope this missive finds you well and in good spirits. It has been a week since our last meeting, and the absence of your presence weighs heavily upon my heart. I find myself longing for the warmth of your smile and the light of your eyes, yearning to be reunited with you once more.