PROLOGUE

By no means was Florentine Beaufort a religious person, she cursed under her breath, she smoked from time to time, she loved drinking and she never stepped foot in a church

By no means was Florentine Beaufort a religious person, she cursed under her breath, she smoked from time to time, she loved drinking and she never stepped foot in a church. Despite it all, she couldn't understand what she had done for life to continuously throw stuff at her and that's why she sometimes prayed — to anyone that was willing to listen up there — to simply give her a break.

What she didn't know is that an encounter she once deemed irrelevant would become so important to her that it would turn her life upside down in a matter of weeks.

Growing up in a french household, the girl learned to keep her opinions to herself. Learning to be ladylike and respectful is what her parents called it when in reality they didn't want their youngest daughter to stand in the way of what they had planned for their son and his future. This didn't mean Florentine's parents were cruel, no. They loved Florentine and her brother Theo equally and the family was happy, but Florentine could tell her parents simply had more faith in their son rather than their daughter.

Her mother, Evelyn, gave birth to Theo shortly after marrying her father Bastién and their little family was perfect, that was until Florentine was born. The girl was born four weeks too early, back then her parents were told that she most likely wouldn't survive and it took a toll on the young parents. They fought a lot, not only about the future of their baby daughter, but also their own, almost deciding to call it quits and file for divorce, but they pulled through when the news came that Florentine had a slight chance of surviving. They wanted to fight through this as a family and their price was a healthy and beautiful baby daughter that would make their family whole again.

Despite all odds, she survived and all her parents could do was pamper the baby girl. It took a while for the family to get over the fear of further complications before they were able to continue their lives, but they managed to do just that.

As the Beaufort siblings grew older it started to become clear that the siblings were nothing alike, Theo loved cycling and played all kinds of sports whereas Florentine fell in love with the arts, she loved fashion just like her mother but her true passion was baking.

With their mother being a british model that came to France for her work and their father being a french tennis player, the siblings knew quite early into their teenage years that their parents needed them to shine and continue their legacy. The Beaufort's had quite a reputation in Europe, young Evelyn and Bastién were a dream couple and grazed dozens of European magazines, but as parents, the married couple decided to take a step back from the limelight.

Although she'd call her children her biggest achievement, Evelyn was not the same after childbirth, not her body nor her mind and it hit the woman harder than she'd let believe. She barely got modeling jobs anymore, despite working hard to achieve a similar physique to the one she had before she gave birth and although she didn't particularly needed to work, having accumulated quite the amount of money  and wealth together with her husband, she loved her job and she would've loved to work in that field longer than she got to.