CHAPTER SEVEN

december 2023

If other's were aware of what internal struggles both Florentine and Bradley had to go through, they'd call them highly professional, strong and brave, but neither of them would agree

If other's were aware of what internal struggles both Florentine and Bradley had to go through, they'd call them highly professional, strong and brave, but neither of them would agree. Both of them would argue that the only way to get out of a down phase was busying themselves in whatever work they could get a grab on.

For Bradley it was going to the studio to write, for Florentine it was baking and both of them spent the few days left in 2023 doing just that. They continually messaged each other throughout it and spent the last days leading up to the holidays together like the years prior to that. It felt as if everything was going back to normal, but besides that it felt as if they just strengthened their bond even more.

Despite being in their own little words for a while, Brad and Florentine always found the time to tell each other about their days, so when Florentine got a message from her mother, asking her daughter to come visit them so they could talk about everything, Brad was the first to hear about it.

He told the girl to accept the offer and go, because she had gifts for them anyways and she obviously hurt without having her parents around. Florentine had bit her lip in anticipation since she had the feeling he'd say something like that. They talked over the phone which Florentine had on speaker since she was at the bakery. She was just getting started on her early hour shift, having left some gifts for Archie, Marley and the rest of her colleagues to find when they arrived for the opening hours.

"I'm just unsure, Brad. I don't know if I'm ready to see them again, after all they never even visited me here in England. And I mean my apartment, not Wimbledon... and they have a freaking jet! It takes them a maximum of two hours to get here!", Florentine exclaimed as she let her frustration out on the dough in front of her. 

She remembered how hurt she felt when her father literally ordered her to drive all the way out there to get a chance to meet him. Florentine was aware that he was there for the Tennis tournament, but it wouldn't have hurt to plan in a little stop for his daughter, at least that's what Florentine believed. And that's why she was still bitter.

A humoured, but overly tired laugh could be heard on the other line, taking in everything Florentine had just said.

"Still batshit that they have one to be honest, but they're probably thinking the same thing, minus the private jet part... you know how parents can be", Bradley tried to reason with the girl, knowing how stubborn she could get if she really wanted to.

When Bradley was met with silence, he realized that Florentine was probably pouting, staying silent so she wouldn't have to agree with him. He let out another tired chuckle, before telling the girl that he'd go to sleep soon.

"Just think about it yeah, I won't bother you with this anymore because it's your decision. But I think it might be good for you"

That was the last thing Florentine heard, paired with a small love you, before the line went dead and she was left alone with her thoughts for the remainder of her shift.