CHAPTER THREE

october 2023

It was a rainy and overly windy day in Southern England, which Florentine has grown accustomed to

It was a rainy and overly windy day in Southern England, which Florentine has grown accustomed to. The first few months, despite it being spring when she moved, the girl had to bring out her warmest winter clothes because she was freezing no matter the temperature. Bradley used to make fun of her for it, the two sometimes taking walks with him dressed in a light trenchcoat and her in the biggest puffer jacket she owned, but a few years of living in the UK has done wonders to her perception of the cold.

Something Florentine hadn't gotten used to though, is being put behind the counter of the small bakery to serve customers. She just finished her regular shift when Marley had asked her to fill in for a new colleague. She was young, younger than any of them and still in school. She had an upcoming exam that she apparently forgot, having called Marley just minutes prior to the elder calling Florentine, explaining her situation frantically and seemingly close to tears. So despite being exhausted, Florentine just agreed with a tired chuckle, wanting to help out the teen.

The french girl had a short nap at her apartment, having finished her shift around eight in the morning, before she had to start again at 11 o'clock. She had been planning to get dinner with Bradley, so she made sure to cancel before she put an alarm and forced herself to sleep.

It was weird for her to actually dress up for work, realizing she had to be around customers for once when she's usually alone in the kitchen at the crack of dawn, but it filled the girl with a little excitement, not able to deny that she actually enjoyed fashion.

The first few hours were easy, a lot of regulars coming in to get their breakfast orders with some sitting down to enjoy their pastries in the bakery's little seating area. When Florentine thought about it, she didn't spend a lot of time outside the kitchen, so being stood behind the counter, watching over the few customers littered around and being able to look through the huge window front felt almost relaxing to her.

Early afternoon was when she felt the exhaustion starting to catch up on her, she felt like she yawned a dozen times in under five minutes and she was on her fourth cup of coffee. The brunette brushed through her hair and over her baby blue apron, trying to look as presentable as possible despite there being no customers around.

It was starting to rain heavily, so she couldn't blame the people, but she was starting to feel bored, having already cleaned the tables and set up the displays to perfection. There was quite a bit of pastries and treats left, so she was looking forward to taking some and bringing them over to Bradley's as an apology.

Florentine was just checking the time on her phone, when the bell above the entrance rang out through the bakery, signalling there was a new customer. The girl had a smile on her face as she watched a couple walk in hand in hand, the man holding open the door for the girl and holding his umbrella out for her to not get a single drop of water on her as she rushed through the door with a giggle, still tightly holding on to his hand. Florentine could immediately tell they were in a relationship by the loving gesture.