CHAPTER TWO

july 2023

Bradley stared at the girl in front of him with curiosity as she talked about her encounter with the alleged businessman a few hours prior to their brunch date

Bradley stared at the girl in front of him with curiosity as she talked about her encounter with the alleged businessman a few hours prior to their brunch date. He was munching on some scrambled eggs while she was sipping on her flat white, watching the people pass by their table with as equally curious eyes.

When she glanced back at Bradley, the curly haired boy was already looking at her with a teasing smirk on his lips and it made the girl put down her cup with a scoff.

"I know exactly what you're thinking, Brad. Save it", she commented before he had the chance to say anything and it resulted in a disbelieving laugh from the boy. Bradley fixed his baseball cap he was wearing before he leaned over the table with another teasing grin, staring straight at the girl in front of him.

"Oh, c'mon there was a fifty fifty chance you'd either come across a serial killer or a prince charming and judging by the look on your face he was bloody charming", Bradley teased the girl as he put his own cup of tea against his lips.

Florentine thought back to what features the handsome stranger had that she could actually make out in the dark. He seemed really athletic, judging by his frame and the fact he ran multiple hours and continued a conversation with her without dying like she would've. He had an accent that the girl guessed to be italian or spanish and while she never thought she would ever be attracted to an accent like that, in addition to that, his voice itself was insanely attractive. He also had incredible hair that was on the longer side, judging by the fact he kept brushing it back from all the sweat.

So in the end it wasn't much and before she could frown about the lack of details she could remember, she snapped herself out of it.

"So what? I don't even know his name. I'm never gonna see him again and you know I didn't come here to find the love of my life", she tried to change the subject and the boy in front of her could tell she was getting frustrated so he let out a long sigh and reached across the table.

To other guests around them it seemed like a loving gesture, a touch between lovers, but to the two it was nothing more than platonic and Florentine was grateful to be sure of it. As she started to settle into her new life, she realized that Bradley was there for every step of it. He helped her decide on what car to get, he introduced her to some new friends and he helped her with overcoming her demons in a way no therapist could. Despite growing up in a completely different setting, Florentine could see why her brother and Bradley were such good friends and in some bizarre way, she believed that having Bradley in her life now was a last gift from Theo to assure that she would be okay.

"I know that T... but it's been two years. That's part of life and Theo would want you to move on as well, you know that", he spoke softly, knowing that the mention of her late brother could trigger two different reactions. At the sound of his name, the girl looked up at her friend and sent him a tight lipped smile, squeezing his hand in a way of telling him she was alright.