Chapter 11: Answers

"It was three months ago," John's words rang in my ears. Three months ago, at the party where I lost my virginity. My mind was racing as I was trying so hard to collect myself, but I couldn't. I mean how could I get pregnant after the first time doing it? I look up to see everyone staring at Lucas as he stands there shocked. He looked as scared as I felt.
"Wait," I blurted out, "we are jumping to conclusions way too fast. This might be a major coincidence. Let's go watch the movie. We already paid for the tickets, so we might as well enjoy ourselves." The words rushed out of my mouth in a jabbering mess. I needed to not think about the thought of me being pregnant and seeing everyone nodding in agreement. I take it that I wasn't the only one who didn't want to think about it as well. We all walked to the theater that we needed to be in to watch Madame Web. Those who got popcorn threw it away in respect of me and we seated ourselves away from other viewers.
The movie was amazing. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I was able to completely forget about everything I was so stressed out before the movie. That was until we got into Nathaniel's Highlander. I buckled myself up ready to go and get something to eat instead we found ourselves in front of a clinic.
"Nathaniel, why are we at a clinic?" I asked him with a brow raised.
"While you were in the bathroom. We all agreed that you needed to get a pregnancy test done," Nathaniel explained.
"WE," I shout looking behind me at everyone who wouldn't even look me in the eyes.
"It's for the best Harper," Nathaniel says with a hand placed on my shoulder. I stared into Nathaniel's eyes as the fear started to fill my veins engulfing my body. I was scared, but I knew and could tell that everyone in this vehicle had my back.
"Okay," I say in a breathy voice. We all got out of the car and entered the clinic. The clinic wasn't very busy as only one person was sitting in the waiting area. We all piled in, everyone took seats as I walked to the front desk.
The lady pushed the sliding window, "Can I help you?" She asked.
"I need to get a test done," I answered while fidgeting.
"What kind of test?" She asked.
I got a little closer so the one person who wasn't with me couldn't hear, "pregnancy test."
"Alright, I'm going to give you a form to fill out and they will call you when they are ready," the lady said as she handed me a chipboard and pen. I grabbed it and walked back to my group of friends. I sat between John and Lucas as I started to fill out the form. I fill out the piece of paper quickly. I handed it back to the lady before returning to my seat. Everyone was quiet while they sat.
"Who do you want to go with you?" John asked.
"I'm not even sure. At this point I will be happy with whoever as long as I don't have to do this alone," I explained. I was scared out of my mind and knew I couldn't do this alone. I feel a hand grip my own. I looked to see Lucas gripping my hand.
"I'll go," he says while looking forward.
"Are you sure?" I asked.
"I don't want you to be alone. Also, if you are...." He pauses before picking back up on what he was saying, "I should be with you since it would be mine if you are positive."
I give him a faint smile. My nerves couldn't give him more than that. I am glad that he agreed to come back with me. I honestly thought Liz would have been the one to speak up and say she would come. But I am glad that it was Lucas who spoke up first for me.
"Harper," A nurse called out. Lucas and I stood up to follow her into the back. She took my weight and height like they all do. She had me pee in a cup before doing the other stuff that nurses always have to do when you come into a clinic. Once she gets an answer to all of her questions, she leaves the room. I was left alone with Lucas, who was also super quiet.
"What should we do if I am pregnant?" I asked.
"You will finish up this semester. Once you do, I'll have you move in with me," he answers.
"Wait, what?" I looked at him with a shocked expression. That wasn't what I thought he was going to say. I thought for sure he would ask me to get an abortion or something.
"You will move in with me. It will be better for you and the baby. I have a big enough apartment. Though when my lease is up, we will go find a bigger apartment." Lucas says with a straight face.
"Are you sure you want to do that?" I asked.
"Yes, why do you ask?" He retorted.
"Well, I don't think your parents will think too kindly of this. Plus we never work out...." I paused. What was going to say? We aren't a couple. We had sex once and made out twice, but that doesn't mean we are dating.
"What haven't we worked out Harper?" Lucas asked.
"Whatever it is that is going on between us," I answered. It was the best thing I could think to say at the moment.
"We can work on that then. I want to be in your life Harper. I want to know my child and not be a father that is never there," Lucas smiled.
"We don't even know if I am pregnant, Lucas." I huffed.
"If you aren't then that is fine. I still want to be in your life, Harper. That means more than a friend," his words are sincere.
"You want to be more than friends?" I asked.
"Yes, I thought you knew that after the game yesterday when we talked in my room." He was right, but I thought he just wanted us to be closer. I couldn't even fathom the thought of him wanting us to date.
"So, we are dating?" I had to clarify. I had to hear the words come out of his mouth.
"Yes, Harper. We are dating," he laughs. I think he just realized what I've been thinking this whole time.
"I mean, I would be a shallow asshole if I was just wanting us to have sex and nothing else," his smile brightened the room. I felt all my insecurities and fears be cast away. I opened my mouth to say something to him.
Knock, Knock is what we hear before a female doctor walks into the room with a clipboard.
"Hello, I am Dr.Young. You must be Harper Jones and..." she trails off as she looks at Lucas.
"He's my boyfriend Lucas," I say, even though the words feel so foreign.
"Right, well that explains why he is in here with you," she smiles.
"Alright, well let's get down to it. The test did come back positive. It popped up very quickly telling us that you didn't get pregnant recently."
"Umm, yeah. It's been around three months," I say, my nerves and thoughts are racing.
"Why didn't you come in sooner? You must have known that something was up when you missed your period," she says sternly.