Chapter 3

Chad opened the door, surprised to see Susan. "You came?"

"I changed my mind."

He hugged her. "I'm glad you're here. And don't worry about the... eh COVID thing. I convinced them to meet outside. We've fire pits to keep us warm."

She smiled. "Thanks."

"Come!" He grabbed her hand. Walking around the house, they found a group of people huddled around a fire. "Guys. I want to introduce you to Susan."

They all looked up.

Brian, his best friend, said: "So this is the snowflake who's afraid of the flu."

He noticed Susan swallowing from the corner of his eye. "A bit of fresh air doesn't hurt anyone. I didn't hear you complain last week when we were hunting." He felt how Susan stiffened when he mentioned the hunt. This relationship proved to be complicated. He wondered why he tried so hard.

"Chad told me his friends were tough as nails. I guess he exaggerated."

Everyone laughed. Chad loved how Brian puffed up, angry but without a good rebuttal. This was why he liked her so much, her great wits and sharp remarks. He put his arm around her and pulled her against him. "Do you want a beer?"

"Do you have wine?"

"Yes, I believe I have a bottle in the house. Can I leave you alone for a few minutes?"

"Of course." She didn't look very confident. He rushed into the house so he could be back as soon as possible.

Susan looked around. She was nervous because she knew Chad's people would differ from her friends. Determined to fit in, she had made a list of all the things she wouldn't mention. COVID and politics topped the list. She also had a list of safe subjects. She walked to the guy who had made the rude remark. Best to win him over first. "Hi, I didn't catch your name."

He still looked mad because she had countered his not-so-clever remark. "Brian."

"Nice to meet you."

He didn't answer.

"You and Chad have been friends for a long time?"

"Yes."

Tough crowd. "You love to hunt? I'm no hunter, but I love hiking. The woods here are awesome."

"I know."

He was getting under her skin, and that wouldn't help her. She longed for Chad's return, but that was the easy way out. "Did Chad tell you how we met?"

Brian shrugged.

"You'll love this story. I did so many stupid things... If someone other than Chad opened the door, I wouldn't live to tell the tale."

Brian frowned, and she saw how he was tempted to ask her why.

She kept silent. It was his turn to talk.

"Tell me."

"What?"

Brian sighed. "Tell me how you and Chad met."

Susan smiled. "I ran out of fuel and I knocked on his door for help. Despite me not knowing him I let him take me to a gas station."

"That indeed is stupid."

"I know. I guess I was lucky. How long do you know Chad? Since kindergarten?"

A smile flickered in his eyes. "Chad and I've been friends since high school. We were both on the football team."

"Now you'll think I'm a real moron because I know nothing about football."

"Go figure."

Despite the smug tone in his voice, he didn't sound as cold as he had before.

"I bet you have a lot of wonderful stories from your time on the team. Was Chad any good?"

At last, Brian beamed with pride. "He was the best quarterback out there. Lots of touchdowns too."

"You weren't bad yourself."

Susan was relieved to hear Chad's voice. He came standing next to her and gave her a glass of white wine.

"Thanks."

Chad and Brian dished up stories about all the grand games they'd played. Susan only understood half of it and made a mental note to dive into the rules of American Football. While they were talking, she looked at Chad. He had an athletic look. He wasn't super tall, but he had broad shoulders. Was that the reason she felt so safe around him?

To his surprise, when he came outside with her drink, Susan was talking with Brian. He had expected her to avoid him. He smiled. Another trait he liked. She didn't back down from a challenge.