Chapter 8

It was six in the morning and chilly when Chad, feeling anxious, arrived at the meeting place. There were a lot of men wearing red hats and carrying Trump flags and he already regretted he let himself talk into this.

"Hi, you made it." Brian sounded as if he doubted Chad would come. He didn't blame him.

"I told you I'd come, didn't I?"

Brian was already waving to someone else.

"Who's paying for this bus?" He would understand if he had to chip in. It was almost four hours to Washington.

Brian raised his shoulders. "I guess the Trump campaign? Who cares? I donated enough."

Chad grinned. "I don't think ten dollars is enough to get you to Washington."

"Ten dollars?" Brian sneered. "Is that all you paid?"

Chad looked around, checking for other listeners. This stuff was kind of private. "What did you send him?"

"More than your ten dollars a month, duh. Do you have any idea how much those legal fees are to prove the election was stolen?"

"Are you still paying?" Chad asked. "The election is over."

"Of course I still pay. It's a weekly payment and it'll automatically stop when we've won."

Someone gave Chad a push. "Get on the bus. My balls will freeze off."

He boarded the bus while the guy kept going. "And if you think you don't have to give any longer, you're a thrifty old bastard. Brian here is the true patriot."

Chad aimed for a seat in the back. He didn't want anyone breathing a virus into his neck. He pulled his gaiter farther up, so it also covered his nose and hoped for the best. Walking through the bus, he not only saw all kinds of Trump stuff but also bear spray, men in camouflage fatigue, and even bulletproof vests. It made him nervous.

The bus took off. Everyone chanted: 'Stop the steal!'

But in Chad's mind, only one message was on repeat: 'This was the wrong bus and there was no emergency exit.'

                                                                                                #

"Susan? Hi."

"Chad?" Susan waited less than a second before she asked: "How are you?"

Chad felt relieved she hadn't declined his call. "I'm in a bit of a jam."

"What happened?"

"I'm in Washington DC." Was this enough information?

Luckily, she understood right away. "Don't tell me. You're at the Trump rally?"

"I need someone to talk to."

"Leave right now!"

"I can't. I came on a bus." He took a deep breath. "Susan, I think there'll be trouble."

"I think you're right. Where are you now?"

"I told you in Washington."

"No, I mean, where exactly in Washington?"

"I'm near the White House. Everyone is walking towards the Capitol."

"Walk the other way. Can you share your location with me? I'll find you a safe place and we'll go from there."

Chad did what she asked him to do and felt how hope replaced his anxiety.

"I found a cafe west of the White House and the Ellipse."