Chapter 9

Susan woke up with Chad's arms wrapped around her. She freed herself, careful not to wake him up. Yawning, she stretched her arms above her head. Despite the shocking events at the Capitol yesterday, she felt great. Chad was a generous lover and had propelled her to cloud nine. He moved a little. She shifted to her side so she could look at him.

He opened his eyes.

"Good morning. I'll make breakfast and then I'll bring you home."

"So you told me yesterday, but are you sure you have time?"

"Yes, no problem. Besides, how else will you get home?"

Chad got up. "Let me make breakfast. It's the least I can do."

Susan smiled. "If you insist." She nestled back under the blankets.

While she heard him rumbling through her fridge, she felt for her phone on her bedside table. She should tell her boss she wouldn't be online today. One advantage of working from home was the flexibility. She still could make phone calls from her car. And the rest would have to wait till tonight. After she sent him an email, she looked at her text messages and saw one from Erin to confirm a lunch appointment through Zoom. She forgot about that. She sent a text that she had a last-minute thing.

Within five minutes, Erin called. Surprised, she picked up. Erin couldn't know from such a brief message what had happened, could she? "Hi."

"Tell me, who is the lucky guy?"

"How did you know?" Susan almost suspected a camera somewhere in her room.

"It's true?" Erin sounded just as surprised.

"Er, yes, I mean no, that's none of your business." To change the subject Susan asked: "You were guessing?"

"Yes, but 'a last-minute thing' doesn't sound very business-like to me."

Susan had to admit Erin was right.

"You met him online, I hope?"

Susan sighed, cursing the Pandemic as she said: "It's Chad."

"The Trump supporter you were trying to convert?"

"Ssttt." Susan peeked through the door opening to make sure Chad was still busy in the kitchen. "He isn't anymore."

"Yeah, right. Why are you whispering? Is he still there?"

"He's in the kitchen. Listen, I call you back later today, okay?" Before Erin could answer, she said: "Love you, bye."

Chad walked into her room, still only wearing his jeans.

"Who was that?"

"Erin, a friend of mine." She threw her phone on the bed. Seeing his empty hands, she asked: "What's for breakfast?"

Chad smiled. "Breakfast can wait." He dropped himself next to her and took her in his arms.