Chapter 7

Brian came over to check on him because he asked: "Why didn't you attend the New Year's Eve party yesterday?"

Chad shrugged. "I didn't feel like it." He handed Brian a beer.

"Cheer up. It's 2021 and it'll be a blast."

"You know something I don't?"

"Did you hear about the rally in Washington?"

"DC?" Chad asked, just to say something.

"No state." Brian gave him a little shove. "Of course Washington DC. Are you dense? Haven't you heard what President Trump said? It's gonna be wild."

Chad had heard about the rally alright. He just wasn't sure if he should go. His friends didn't know he hadn't voted for Trump. He felt a hypocrite to go to a rally of somebody he hadn't supported. "Why a rally when elections are over?"

"They rigged the elections. Sleepy Joe didn't win and on January 6 they'll declare Biden the winner." Brian opened his beer. "At least the electors will, but because they cheated, those electors aren't legit."

"They aren't?" It surprised Chad how Brian suddenly was an expert in elections.

"No, of course not. And on January 6 Pence can stop this madness." Brian took a sip of his beer.

"The Vice President can do this?"

"If he has the balls, which I doubt he has. I never understood why Trump chose him."

Chad also took a sip from his beer.

"So, are you coming?"

"I don't know." Susan kept sending him links and most of them made sense. Where was the evidence of fraud? But he knew if he asked Brian, he'd get mad. He hated all this talk about politics and tried to think of another topic.

Brian frowned. "What's going on with you these days? We missed you yesterday at the party."

"I told you, I didn't feel like it." And also because it was a no-mask party, he tried to avoid those as much as possible.

"You were always a bit of a loner. Go out and meet new girls. Forget about that stupid libtard."

"Don't talk about her like that."

Brian held his hand in the air as to surrender. "Jesus, how long ago did you two break up? A few months ago?"

Ten weeks and he still couldn't drown out her voice. Not with beer, not even while talking with his best friend.

"Come to the bar tomorrow. We're going to make plans for the rally." Before Chad could react, Brian continued: "There're busses, everyone will go. It'll be like a field trip. Remember?"

Chad smiled. He understood what Brian was trying to say. Going to Washington with all of his friends would be a welcome distraction, something he desperately needed. Perhaps it was a good way to begin the new year. He held up his beer. "Count me in."