Chapter 5

"Susan, did you honestly expect to convert a Trump supporter? You know how irrational and hard-headed they are."

"Except he wasn't."

"What do you mean?"

Susan paused. Thinking of Chad, she couldn't help but feel those butterflies right before she felt the pain. What got into her? He supported someone who was pure evil.

"Susan? Are you still there?" Erin, her best friend, sounded worried.

"Yes, I'm still here."

"Why didn't you want to zoom so I can see you?"

"Because I'm a hot mess." That was only half true. She was still in bed and she didn't want Erin to find out.

Erin sighed. "Tell me about him."

"No, because you'll declare me a fool."

"I already think you're a fool. Convince me you're not."

She'd been so dumb. "You remember the Facebook group that suggested contacting Trump supporters to talk to them face to face?"

"Er, yes, I remember, but that was eons ago."

"A few weeks ago, after that debate, you know 'stand back and standby'?"

Erin made an affirmative sound.

"I decided I needed to do something. So I took my car and drove to Pennsylvania. I pretended my car ran out of fuel and I knocked on a door."

"You did what?!" Erin almost screamed.

"Yes, I know. It was a tat rash."

"Rash doesn't even describe your irresponsibility."

"Please Erin, do you want to hear the full story?"

"Yes, sorry, go on."

"So I met Chad."

"Chad? Really. That was his name?"

"Yes. Let me finish."

"Of course, sorry."

"He was super nice and brought me to a gas station. We talked, and he bought me a salad."

"Did you forget your wallet, too?"

"No, he insisted he'd pay. He was very adamant about it." Susan smiled. She would rather die before she would confess to Erin how wonderful it had felt to be treated like a lady.

"Of course he was."

Susan could almost see how Erin rolled her eyes. Suddenly, she didn't want to tell her everything that had happened between her and Chad. Despite her motives to meet him, she felt there had been something special between them. He was so different from what she'd expected him to be. He was kind, funny, and, yeah, pretty good-looking too. She hated how it had ended in a fight. And the worst part was she hadn't moved the needle, not even a little. It was all for nothing.

"Susan?"

"I just remembered I have a thing."

"A thing?"

"Yeah, you know, work. I'll call you back. Okay?"

Erin hesitated. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes, I'm sure. Bye." She put down her phone and turned on the TV. She needed a distraction and watching an episode of The Gilmore Girls was her guilty pleasure and a way to transport her to a perfect world. Something she craved right now.