Part 6 |The Case of the Port Townsend Witch|

~~ Edwin POV ~~
She fell asleep practically immediately. It was almost impressive. I watched for a few minutes before finally saying, "I've never met anyone as beautiful as you."

~~ Y/N POV. Next day ~~

"Wow, she really looks like a witch." Charles said as he spied on Esther with his looking glass. It was like something pulled right out of the hand of an 18th century pirate.

"That's what I've been saying! People joke, but nobody believes that she's an actual witch... and not just the bitch kind." I chuckled quietly when I noticed the ghost of a smile on Edwin's face.

"Like, kind of a sexy witch though, who smokes a lot... but in a cool way." Charles added. I shook my head and rolled my eyes. He wasn't wrong, but still it sounded weird to say out loud.

"She's a witch who needs to get to the post office, to clear up some trouble over an unclaimed package." Crystal explained as the four of you watched as Esther hopped into her little green convertible, mindlessly closing the door on her jacket. "You're welcome," she finished.

I couldn't help but wonder why she'd have a convertible in a town where the sun barley peaked through the clouds. Port Townsend always seemed to be ridiculously wet and rainy.

The engine of the car sputtered to a start, and Esther drove away, most definitely over the speed limit, given by the fact she was drifting the whole way down the street.

"That was very clever, Crystal," Edwin complimented with a side eye. He then paused for a moment, eyeing the now witchless house, "all right, Charles. Let's go." The two started to head off.

Crystal seemed to be caught of guard by this, "uh, I know we're cool now, but it feel like you not letting me come is punishment for the secret demon thing?" I snickered, earning me a patented Crystal glare.

The two boys tuned around in unison, both looking pretty unimpressed.

Seeing that, Crystal rambled on, "Which was totally my bad, and very screwed up, and I should've told you everything."

"Girl, you don't wanna deal with a witch... certainly not one like Esther." I shivered at the thought. I was quite happy to stay back, out of the action, and safe... for the most part. Plus out here I could protect the delicate human that was Crystal. "I'm happier out here... less danger, you know?"

"Precisely, and probably for the best. You can keep her safe," Edwin was looking at me, while pointing to a now offended Crystal. "Witches are dangerous," he said plainly, receiving a sigh from Crystal now. He began slowly pacing back towards us, "I once saw a witch turn a girl into a small piece of plastic. She couldn't move, never aged, but she could still feel everything. And that is her forever now." He stopped right in front of Crystal and I.

"Holy shit," She spoke breathlessly.

"Horrifying... would make a great horror movie though." I unknowingly said aloud.

"You still have lives to lose," Charles pointed at Crystal, then at me, "let's keep 'em safe while we can."

Immediately I looked away from the two.  I mean, I guess he's right, I can lose my life... this life, but I'll just be reincarnated. So it's no big whoop. Though, it can be pretty painful. Death and reincarnation..

When I looked back up, there was this cocky knowing look on his face, not enough of a look to give away anything, but enough that I knew what he was thinking. The previous night of sharing feelings had been so exhausting, I had practically forgot it all. Clearly Edwin had not. Though, as promised, he didn't say anything about it.

The two boys headed off to the house again, not before Edwin could make another snarky remark. "And also..." he paused dramatically, "we're punishing you."

Finally the boys were off into the house and I could let out the little giggle fit that had been building up.

"What?" Crystal asked in a jokingly accusatory manner, "they're probably punishing you too!"

"I can assure you they're not. I'm not the one who had a literal demon inside them... am I?" I teased, "seriously though, are you alright... I know we've all kinda joked about it. But after being in your mind, I kind of understand what you're going through I guess... better than Charles or Edwin that is."

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine. Totally and completely fine," she kicked a little pebble with a huff.

I was about to continue talking, silences like this couldn't be any more dreadful. Luckily, I didn't have to fill the gap with my own rambles, clearly my new friend was full of stuff to say!

"Ugh! They just don't get it! He's just sooo full of himself! That... I mean those ignorant asshole's!"

"I have a feeling you aren't talking about both boys now, are you?" I asked, even though I knew the answer. "Edwin?"

"Edwin!" She repeated in a rage, "he's just such a duck all the time! He never listens, doesn't care, and he's so god damn full of himself!" Of course I knew this wasn't fully true, but still I listened to her rant. "He hates me! He hates that his best friend likes me and want me around to!"

"Crystal, I don't think he hates you-"

"How can you be so sure? Hm?" She began to pace while kicking up gravel, "he's such a stick in the mud!"

"I'm sure if he hated you, you'd be very aware of it."

"Oh I'm aware. I've been aware! Ever since I stepped foot into that office- God I'm such an idiot! I don't know why I even bothered to stay with those two, to help them even!"

I grabbed her shoulders, stopping her irritating pacing and making her face me, "because you're a good person, Crystal. Because you care." I felt her tense shoulders relax under my palms. "I know it, Charles knows it, even Edwin knows it. Alright?" She nodded. "So stop beating yourself up over one of Edwin's pretentious douchie comments!"

An evil smile spread across, "yea, they are pretty douchie, huh?" She giggled,

I joined her, "so douchie."

Word count: 1000+
A/N- shorter chapter today because this is all I had time to write, but I still wanted to get a chapter out :P so here it is!!