8. THE BREAK IN THE SYSTEM: flashback

year 2002

It's early morning, life is still the same, nothing new, just me, my crappy basement house, television, and my morning coffee with the entire basement as a mess. Piles of laundry in every corner, plates in the sink from the past two weeks. Everything is super messed up, and I have no energy to change anything. What am I really doing with life? I was excited to choose this path when I was young, but now it's full of regrets and thoughts that I should have never chosen any of them. It's like going down a rabbit hole the more I think of it, I shouldn't have gone down this lane, but again what amazing things can a kid who was abandoned by his parents and left on the streets have done?, from rags to riches only exists in movies and books not in real life, the reality is unfair, somewhere else a kid who grew up like me got recognized by a big shot for his intelligence and is doing something meaningful and useful to this world and me here caught the attention of someone I should never have and ended up here. But again, if that man never gave me the attention what could I have done? I would still be roaming the streets and eating someone's leftovers or occasionally getting in some fights with kids on the street my age. Nothing makes sense, what is right and wrong in what I do? I have no idea. 

I was just 15 at the time when a man saw me, he saw me fighting a kid of my age and beating him up into a pulp, well it was not uncommon because in the streets it's the rule of the jungle, you survive if you are strong, if you want a place to sleep on, you got to fight for it. You don't want to do it, but you are left with no choice but to follow the rule because no one wants to change it, nobody wants to be left without a place to lay their head on, so we just fight, fight for survival. My days mostly went by like that until that man saw me, the first time he laid eyes on me, I saw the look on his face as if he found something useful or more like a slave that he could keep on a leash despite being stronger than him because there is a world under all the streets and lights, the world that people like me had no chance of entering, but once you enter this lane, there is no escape, in this lane, you survive if you are loyal to whoever is your master. You can try to become a master, but you have limits, you can't go beyond a certain hierarchy, because just like the outside world, your bloodline has value, if you come from the family of the master's masters, you win or else you remain a slave. A kid like me found in the streets abandoned by his parents cannot be ambitious in this world. So I stayed a dog on that man's leash, he was Abraham Eiser, the second born of the Dutch-Moroccan mafia family of the Eisers, the thing about this man is that to dogs like us, he was a master but to his masters, he was a failed breed in the pack. The weakest and most useless one, he was the youngest, only 18 years old when he found me, he created his gang with the approval of his father, well his father just didn't want him to meddle with his business because he found no use in him unlike his two older brothers, James Eiser and Jerald Eiser, the ones who were the direct subordinates and business managers working under Thalius Eiser, their father aka the underworld king in the Dutch- Moroccan mafia.

Just as dogs like me couldn't dream of going higher than being the gang leaders in this lane, failed pieces like Abraham couldn't dream of taking the place of his father's throne. Everything in this world is written and scripted well, there is no fun, no twists, and turns, it's just plain boring. Dogs like me do anything our masters say, kill the people the masters find as a threat or kill people the masters felt or they didn't like for no reason at all, clean up the messes they create and that's it, that's how everything goes on. It's been six years now into this boring and antagonizing mess, bloody and dead. After this many years of being a dog and having no way to escape you reach a point where everything is meaningless, at this point I am just waiting to die, because there is no way of growth here, remaining on the leash and going as far as the leash's length is all I can do, nothing more. 

I was watching the news on my television, not that it gives me any benefit but today our master is on vacation and hence I have nothing to do other than watch television. (Although his entire house is a mess). 

"The Anonymous gang has declared war against the prominent family in the underworld, their target is to bring down the underworld that works without any ethics and establish justice for the ones whose blood was shed in the mafia attack on the cafe in Rabat last year, the anonymous has declared that the attack on Rabat is going to be the final attack the underworld will do to the common citizens...", the news went on. News like these were nothing new, the Rabat attack was done by the Eiser family itself, and there are always some private underworld Heroes of justice like these declaring war on the underworld prominent figures, all of them get swept under the rug in just a few days.

*Phone rings*

It's Abraham calling, I wonder what's the emergency because he never contacts his underdogs when he is on vacation.

"Hey, Cipher (my work name), we have an emergency, vacate the place and destroy all evidence of us being in contact, it's an order, and leave the place as soon as possible, The Aran gang has been officially dismantled", says Abraham on the line, he sounds annoyed like when he gives orders that comes directly from his Dad.

What in the world is happening? Dismantling of gangs in the underworld happens only if there is a severe threat on any prominent families connected to the mafia, but such threats have never happened in the past 50 years, the time when the mafia gained peak power, what kind of threat is it that the gang associated with a family member of the Eiser family has to dismantle the gang.

Abraham cuts the call, as always I was never allowed to say anything back, I  just have to follow his orders, but I want to know what kind of people could bring this big of a threat to the Eiser family because there is no way this is happening, ... wait could it be ... The so-called heroes of justice that I just heard about in the news... I want to deny it, but the timing makes sense... who the hell are these guys?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note

Hey guys, I hope you like how this is heading, the coming chapters will be even more thrilling and I hope you guys like and share the story, love y'all. All characters and incidents in this chapter are purely fictional and have nothing to do with real-life people or incidents, if it is seen to be similar to any people or incidents in real life it is purely coincidental.

Follow me on insta @author.amiratullayl