Book Four: Chapter 9

Jenny spread the large blueprint across the coffee table, weighing the corners with coasters and a half-empty water bottle. Eddie nibbled on a bag of barbecue chips, observing her with curious eyes.

"This is the layout of Thunder Tech's main building," she explained, pointing to the maze of hallways and rooms. "Security will be heaviest around the lab areas and the prison cells where they're no doubt holding Huntar, Zena, and Torag."

Eddie nodded, licking the orange residue from his fingers. "Cool, how did you manage to get that blue print?"

Jenny glanced at him. "I have a source, but this is important."

Eddie shrugged. "Okay, so we'll need to split up. One of us creates a distraction while the other slips in."

"Exactly." Jenny's finger traced a path through the ventilation shafts. "I'll make my way to the cell block and free them. You'll need to get to the security hub and loop the camera feeds."

A crease formed between Eddie's brows. "You know that place is gonna be locked down tighter than a drum, right? I'm good with computers, but this is freakin' Thunder Tech we're talking about."

Jenny fixed him with a pointed stare. "You're not losing your nerve now, are you? We can't just leave them trapped in that hellhole."

"Whoa, no need to get snappy." Eddie held up his hands defensively. "I'm in, I'm in. Just thinking out loud about the risks here."

Leaning back, Jenny exhaled slowly. "You're right. Breaking into one of the most secure tech companies on the planet is insane. But after everything those three have done for me..." Her voice trailed off, gaze distant.

In that moment, Eddie recognized the weight of her trauma, the haunted look in her eyes a reminder of the war-torn world she'd escaped. He set the chip bag aside and scooted closer, draping an arm around her shoulders.

"Hey, we got this," he said gently. "Just tell me what you need."

Jenny's lips curved into a small, grateful smile. "Actually, I have someone who can help us get inside undetected. He is the same person who gave me the blueprint."

*****

A few hours later, dusk had fallen over New York City. Eddie adjusted his white shirt and gray jeans. "Still can't believe you know a guy who can score security clearance codes and steal interior maps."

"Mason has been a...reliable source ever since my reporter days." Jenny tucked her yellow leather jacket. "He knows what it's like to go to extremes for a story."

They approached a nondescript door in a shadowed alleyway. Jenny rapped her knuckles against the weathered surface in a distinct pattern. A security panel slid open, revealing a pair of beady eyes peering out.

"State your business," a gruff voice demanded.

"Relax, Mason. It's me," Jenny said. "We need those uniforms and access codes you promised after you sent me the blueprints."

The door swung inward, and a wiry man with thinning hair gestured them inside. "Didn't think you'd actually go through with this crazy plan." He shoved two plastic boxes into their arms. "But a deal's a deal. Those uniforms are top-of-the-line, complete with working ID chips."

Eddie examined the contents, impressed by the authentic details. "You've really outdone yourself this time."

Mason shrugged, unbothered. "Perks of having buddies who owed me favors in the manufacturer's security team." He handed Jenny a slip of paper with a long string of numbers and letters. "Those codes will get you deep into their systems. Just don't get caught, because I had nothing to do with this."