Chapter 23

Neither of them know what to say. I'm not sure that Ben knew what I had in me. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that I knew that I had that inside of me. I know that rage is something that I feel easily and quickly, but I didn't think that it could lead to that.
Serena is crying behind me and I can't think straight with her wailing like I just killed her family dog. I suppose, I kind of did.

"Will you just, shut her up?" I ask in frustration, holding my head.

Jace raises his eyebrows "I think only you know how to do that"

Ben nudges him, telling him to be quiet and I rush up the stairs. I feel a pounding in my head, like something is about to burst out of me. As my witch and rage settles down, my guilt begins to creep up. I keep reminding myself that I shouldn't feel guilty, but I can't keep it down.

I rush to a tree in super speed, calming myself and trying to stop my chest from heaving. I have just killed my first ever person, stopped my first ever heart from beating and it was done so easily, without hesitation.

Ben is at my side, his hand on the tree "Arabella, you need to breathe" He says, trying to calm me.

I look up through my lashes "Thanks, I wasn't thinking of trying that" I say, sarcasm oozing from my voice.

He rolls his eyes "Less of the sarcasm when I'm trying to help, maybe?"

His suggestion makes me want to be more sarcastic, but I hold it back. I knew that he'd be at my side quickly once I left the underground, but I didn't think he'd give me such useless advice. "We need to clean the mess up in there" I say, think of the blood that had begun pouring from every hole Archie had.

Ben holds my shoulders, making me look him in the eye . "We have a meeting to get to and people to persuade. I have people to clean that up but you need to focus."

I'd completely forgotten about the meeting and I want to bury my head in the ground even more. I'd suggest that he does it alone, but we're both in this and they came here to speak to both of us. There's no time to postpone and it's not like I can escape them here, although I can try.

"But-" I look in the direction of where Serena is still crying.

He shakes his head "Ignore that, focus on us"

On us? There is no us. He can see that I'm focusing solely on the person/wolf/traitor that I just killed and he's trying to snap me out of it. It's no use. His eyes are searching for something inside of mine, but I'm not sure what. Perhaps some sort of life or humanity behind whatever glazed over witch that I have going on at the minute.

"I don't know what came over me" I say. I do know, rage.

He shakes his head "Stop worrying about that, just come back to me, please"

He's using the wrong words after what happened between us but I can feel the pull coming back, the pull that makes me want to forgive him. I don't let the pull get any stronger and I snap back into reality as much as I can.

"Let's go" I say, moving away from him and letting his arms drop by his side.

He's still stood by the tree and begins a light jog to catch up with me. "Just like that?"

"I don't have a choice. Alberto and Sofia are waiting"

He nods "Right." I see him glancing at me, almost like he's keeping a check of me.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to kill anyone else today if that's what you're worried about."

He tilts his head "I mean, it was crossing my mind"
I roll my eyes "Well, it doesn't have to. I'm not completely out of control" I say.