p a v l o v a

"He looks at you like you're crème brûlée." – Kelly Moran, Ghost of a Promise

Note: Special thanks to CoderBee22 for the cover featured above!

■ □ ■ □ ■ □ ■ □

"Hello?"

"What's up?"

"Bleh, I need to buy a deluxe can of Fletcher-repellent."

"Aren't you supposed to be getting my blueberry ice cream, Sushi?"

"I'm not doing it."

"Yes, you are."

"No."

"Yes."

"Absolutely not."

"Don't fret, dear Sushi!"

"Why would I fret?"

"I'm going to amaze you with my amazing flirting skills!"

"What skills?"

"It's how I get all the girls."

"Please, it's probably how you repel the girls. How many girlfriends have you even had?"

"Do you count the ones in elementary school where we dated by exchanging marbles as gifts because we were all children who were broke as hell?"

"Uh, not really."

"Then no, I've never had any serious girlfriends."

"Serious girlfriends? What exactly do you mean by that?"

"Relax, I've never cheated or done anything incriminating. No need to sound so accusing. Loads of girls I grew up with liked me at some point, but I didn't reciprocate the feeling."

"Wait, they liked you? What kind of alternate universe am I living in right now?"

"Ha ha, very funny."

"My sense of humour astounds you, I presume? As it should, for that matter."

"How many boyfriends have you had? I bet they all flock up to you and line up outside your doorstep."

"Oh no, definitely not."

"Wait, really?"

"Did you really think I was a guy magnet? I haven't even had my first kiss yet!"

"How come?"

"I mean, I've had two boyfriends, but one was super awkward about touchy-feely activities and the other one had monster truck breath. Besides, I'm saving it for someone special. Isn't that what I'm supposed to do?"

"I– well, um–"

"Fletcher?"

"Back to the point, you'll succumb to my attractive voice sooner or later! My cactus boss seconds that order."

"I'll tell you where to shove your cactus boss."

"What was that?"

"Just a daily reminder that I hate you."

"Aw, I hate you too! Isn't it great that we have so much in common?"

"Whatever."