3

"So what services does a man like Marcel Gerard need from little ol' me?" I questioned, sipping the tea he had ordered me from some quaint little café down the street of my apartment. "I mean, you're the "King of the Quarter". Don't you already have everything you could ever want?"

Marcel smiled and took a sip of his coffee, smirking up at me.

"Well, Opey, I need a lot of things to maintain my status. But most of all, I need insurance. You, "the Coven-less Queen" are the most powerful witch the world has ever seen. More powerful than Esther, and she created the damn vampire race."

I quirked my eyebrow at the horrendous nickname I was just deemed, but carried on the conversation.

"So what am I? A vampire's Geico? All-State? Progressive? Dare I say... Farmers?" I asked sarcastically. "Gerard, I am literally the most powerful witch in the world. I am not some sort of upper hand - I'm so much more than that. I get that you want to strike the fear of all of their beloved ancestors into them, I need something greater. Here's what I was thinking. I offer you my services of resident witch and whatnot, in exchange for my protection and my freedom. I've seen what you and the rest of the vamps do to witches. Lock them up in some sort of Rapunzel situation where they're confined in a small room until you need them. That's not my style. I'm a young woman, not some sort of helpless princess. I can handle myself perfectly fine without you. In fact, one could say that you're my insurance. You ensure my safety and I ensure that you're still king. And much like your agreement, if you so much as fail to protect me from a scraped knee, the deal is off and I kill everyone you've ever met. So, do we still have that deal?"

He looked into my grey eyes and grinned like the Cheshire Cat. He set his coffee down and leaned in closer.

"You don't take shit," He said. "I like that. You, Opey Armstrong, have got yourself one hell of a deal."

I smiled and stood up, grabbing my coat off of the back of my chair.

"Great!" I chirped, lightening the mood drastically. "See you 'round, Marcel!"

"Later, Opey."

As I walked out, I snapped my fingers and smiled as I transferred everything in Marcel's wallet and into the young barista's tip jar. Not like Marcel needed the money anyways, he could simply compel whatever the hell he wanted. Humans didn't exactly have that luxury.

I smiled and took a deep breath, actually taking a moment to be aware of my surroundings. That was one of the things that I completely took for granted whilst on the run for my life. Taking a moment and enjoying where I was. I'm just glad I decided to do it while I was in New Orleans, one of the biggest collections of culture and beauty in the whole of the United States of America. And now that I could roam the streets without getting followed around by a coven of witches in cloaks, I am going to see what some of that New Orleans night life is like.

And that I did. I stood in the nightclub, laughing and drinking straight from the bottle of vodka that I had used my handy dandy magic to get. I danced to the beat of the music, swinging and grinding my hips on the man behind me. Throwing my head back, I giggled and turned around to meet the gaze of someone watching me from the bar. It's not like they could do anything to me, if he did, I'd hex him and Marcel's handy little vampires will storm in and rip him limb from limb. So handled the situation the best way possible. Confrontation. I pushed the drunken man who I was dancing with off of me and made my way to the bar, taking a seat next to the man with the intrusive gaze.