23

n// sorry that this is a little bit more serious than the other chapters!! but hey,, some long awaited #klophelia in this chapter,,,, so ur welcome. nevertheless, i hope you all enjoy! be sure to vote/comment/share!!!

Eventually, I ended up falling asleep in Klaus' arms, never letting go even once. It was also the first time since coming to New Orleans that I didn't have a dream-memory-thing. It was a foreign feeling that I never thought I would feel again. I had grown accustomed to waking up in agony and in tears, and when I awoke to warmth and comfort, it was a bit of a shock. Especially when a kind, gentle, soft sounding Klaus Mikaelson was the first thing to greet me.

"Good morning..." He near whispered, stroking my kinky curls softly, watching me with kind, sympathetic eyes.

"What's so good about it?" I asked groggily.

The Hybrid just said nothing as I rolled over onto my side, resting my head on his thigh whilst he continued petting my hair down. Honestly? I hadn't felt this relaxed in a while. And I just murdered a teenager.

"How did you sleep?" Klaus asked after a little more silence.

And without so much as peaking up at him, I kept my eyes closed and mumbled an answer to the man.

"I haven't slept that well since before I discovered I had magic," I explained. "Things were so much simpler back then, weren't they? Didn't have a worry in the world except wondering what the fuck I'm going to do when I'm eighteen after being kicked out of the orphanage. But, then again, who doesn't worry what they're going to do after eighteen?"

"...No dreams?" He asked quietly, sounding slightly relieved.

"Not tonight." I sighed. "But you never know. I could get double tonight. You know, to make up for lost time."

I couldn't exactly see him, that being because of my shut eyes, but I could feel his mood change. The atmosphere of the room changed. It was more somber ― I know it sounds completely "cliché witch" of me, but I could just feel it. I felt the hurt. The pain. It sent a shiver down my spine.

"I don't wish for you to feel pain or come to harm either," Klaus confessed. "You've done so much for me... For my family... And all you have gotten in return is an impossible weight to carry upon your shoulders."

"Did Eli set you up to say this?" I asked. "Because if so, I don't want a goddamn teleprompter left in my apartment. So, please, be sure to take that with you when you're done here."

"My brother hasn't set me up to do anything." He spoke honestly. "I came because I saw what you did for me, and I know your burden, as I, myself, was the one who has added the most to it. And for that, I am sorry."

At this, I opened one of my eyes and looked at him, trying to see if he actually meant a single word of what he said. And to my shock, he did. He was telling nothing but the truth.

"No," I said quietly, shaking my head. "You're, like, the second biggest contributor. I would say the ancestors are the biggest pains in my asses at the moment."

Klaus let out a deep chuckle and continued to let me lay in his lap, content and comfortable.

"What did you love most about her?" I asked, looking at my fingers as I weaved a bit of purple stardust in between them. "Your sweet Ophelia?"