Chapter 7

Everything. Well I don't know if I want to hear everything. Everything didn't seem like it was going to be nice. Everything will probably cause me nightmares. Everything is going to haunt me and I don't know if I want to live with that ghost.

"Waiter," I said before she could start.

The waiter took our orders and I dug into the bread, while mom talked. No way was I going to sit here and just smell the bread the whole time.

"So you know why I was released, but you need to understand what happened before I was in jail. Your father he- he was a special case. I was on the search for a killer who was abducting women and slaughtering them left and right. There wasn't much of a lead, but I knew I was getting close. After awhile I got too close and he took me.

The first week with him was strange. I wondered why he hadn't tried to kill me yet. He said something about having to send out a message to the FBI. So I lived in a basement, by myself, locked away in a room. After a month, we moved to Connecticut. We stayed there for awhile and then went to Maryland.

He started easing up on my restraints. I could walk around freely in the house, but I couldn't leave. And trust me I tried. He some how managed to put a chip in my neck one night. No matter where I went he knew exactly where to find me. The phones never worked and he only had his cell phone.

One night when I was in my room, I heard him talking upstairs to some people. The next thing I knew they were screaming, trying to leave. The next day I found what he had done to the people and I hid in my room. He came in the afternoon wondering what was wrong and things just went downhill.

Months later I found out I was pregnant. That was when he introduced me to Manni. She was the one who took care of me. I stayed at her house for awhile until I was healthy enough to go back. When she brought up the question of why I looked so beat up, he said I was in a car accident. I'm still not sure to this day if she believed that, but I'm not going to bring it up."

The waiter came back over to bring us our drinks. Mom paused keeping her gaze on the table. I thanked the waiter and he was on his way.

Listening to mom telling me this was hard. I was a rape baby. She must've hated to look at me when I was younger. That's when I really looked like my father. Now I've grown up and I look more like her.

"So Manni continued to care of me all those years. For a little he went away. I'm not sure why I didn't run away or call for help then. I never even brought up what he did when he left. I guess it was something about her that made me want to stay. A sense of safety and serenity, maybe. But when the time came to leave it tore me apart.

When I had you, he became more kind and lenient. At one point he stopped the killings and tried to get better. He was more tolerable and started to grow on me. But I had to remind myself of who he was. So I tried to take you and leave. I found the tracker and cut it out, but I didn't get far.

He kept you away from me for a few months. Saying things like if I tried leaving, I won't like what I'd find if I took you. You were his leverage over me. If something happened that he didn't like he'd take you.

The only thing I could do was at least try to get along with him in public eye. But I had a better plan. I taught you how to escape anything so whenever the time came, you'd be far away from that man. And you did it. I had hoped to join you on that, but there was someone who got away. That woman was the reason I was in jail. She told the police those horrible stories you probably heard about. But they're all lies. I swear I never hurt any of those women or few men that were killed."

I let that settle in for a bit, thinking of the next thing to say to her. I guess Manni was right about before. I wouldn't have imagined this happening to her. If she had never told me I'd never put one and two together.