Chapter 3

"What's going on?" I asked as I pushed into the crowd surrounding the bulletin board.  It was almost the third week at school, and I had continued to keep appearances that I was a powderer while Dylan and I tried smaller things with my elemental powers.  I had been able to control all four aspects, but we hadn't dared to try anything big in case something were to go wrong.

Baby steps, we said, no matter how much I wanted to try something bigger just to see what I could do.

"Showdown sign ups. It's a 1 v 1 competition in a public arena filled with elemental obstacles and other surprises. The winner gets huge prizes," Emma said.

"What year is it for?" I asked.

"It's open to all, but I don't see how an 8 like us can stand a chance against a 1."

I pushed past and looked at all the names signed up. It was only 1s and 2s signed up.

One of the 1s pushed past me and wrote his name on the list. "Careful. A little 8 girl like you could be killed if you sign up. And there's no backing out."

That ticked me off. Once he finished writing his name, I plucked the pen from his hand. "Thanks for the warning."

I was about to write my name when Emma said, "He's right. People have died in these."

I paused for a moment, and I heard a few people laugh. Then I wrote my name.

The dude laughed. "And what's your specialty?"

I shrugged and laughed a little. "I guess we'll find out."

He laughed even more. We were totally just laughing at each other at this point trying to intimidate each other. "Silly little 8 doesn't even know how to use a power even if she had one."

"She's the one who mastered the powder on her first day," someone from the crowd said.

"Really? And how many tries did that take you?"

"One."

His face turned a little sour as he spit, "Well, you better hope you have enough powder to help you through the entire challenge."

I shrugged. "I will. So thanks." I put the pen back on the ledge and walked through the crowd. "I'll see you out there."

____

"You did what?" Dylan asked me.

"You know what I did. You were in the crowd. You were the one who told him I was the one who mastered the powder," I replied as I sat backwards on his desk chair. "And I like how you think."

"I was just trying him to back down a little before he fried you."

"He's a fire user?"

"Anthony. Yeah. He's one of the top ones. I wasn't really thinking anything but trying to help you."

"But now he thinks, and everyone thinks, I'm a powderer. They're never going to expect me to be an elemental master."

"But you don't have a complete handle on all of your power yet. And if you get put up against a time or shadow wielder, you're screwed. Plus, you won't get any specialized training because you won't tell people. Hector will keep training you like you're a powderer, and you're not."

"Isn't there someone who can help train me? Someone who will keep a secret?"

"Maybe Nile, but she might kill you for bothering her."

"Who's Nile?"

"She's a 1, the only other elemental master student. She might be able to help you."