Chapter 15

Chapter 15

There was a lot for me to be thinking about at this moment, and most of them had to do with the fact that we were probably going to die in the next week. I couldn't help but notice that Alyssa seemed to be overreacting. It was the first time I had noticed it, and I wasn't sure if it was the first time or if I had been too busy to notice.

"Are you ok?" I asked as we stood behind the door.

"I'm fine."

"Seriously, you seem distracted and you're overreacting."

"We can't talk about this now," she snapped. "If you want to have a chance of staying alive, just follow me and keep me going."

I knew that meant something was up, but Alyssa was right. We had to get out of here first.

"Whenever you're ready," I told her. She opened the door and set the hallway on fire. Then we bolted through the fire towards the stairs.

Alyssa made it to the door, and I was only a few steps behind her. Someone reached out from the flames and grabbed my ankle. I fell forward with a shriek and focused on the hand around my leg. I felt the force lessen and I looked back. The searcher's hand had turned grey and disintegrated.

I sprang to my feet and ran to catch up with Alyssa. We ran back up the stairs, but she passed the door that led to Nile's gym.

"What are you doing?" I yelled.

"We have to find Dylan!"

"No we don't. We have to get back inside before we get killed," I replied.

I opened the door. "You're on your own then. It's a suicide mission and you know it."

Something crashed into the back of my head, and the stairway filled with smoke, but not from a fire. I realized what was happening as more people rushed into the stairway. I played along and collapsed forward.

"On the ground," the person who hit me in the head told Alyssa.

Alyssa laughed. "Seriously?" I kept my eyes closed, so I couldn't see what was going on. All of a sudden, Alyssa said, "Well this is bad."

"Did you seriously not think we came prepared? It took a bit of work to find the powders that would deactivate an elemental's powers, but we got it done."

"Oh ok. So which one is the powderer?" Alyssa asked.

I opened my eyes a tiny bit and saw a girl above us on the stairs raise her hand.

"Bring her to the arena," the main dude said.

"I don't need powers to fight you all," Alyssa said. I wasn't sure if she was serious or just trying to sound tough.

"That's why it's lucky your friend is knocked out. Imagine what would happen if I did more than just hit her on the head."

"Super strength?" Alyssa asked. I'm assuming the guy nodded. "Figures. Don't worry, my friend is pretty tough."

"Really? She looks pretty knocked out to me," the guy said. Everyone laughed.

"Yeah, but even so, she could take you all out right about now," Alyssa said.

"Good luck with that," some girl said.

"Thanks," I said as I opened my eyes and pulled the energy out of the room of everyone except Alyssa. No one realized what was happening until they were all on the ground. I stopped for a second, but once I heard another door open, I started again. Then I heard a yell and sensed something familiar.