Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"I can't do it," Dylan said as he attempted to revive Emma, who was immobile on the floor following her seizure.

"You need to try harder," I told him.

"I am! But there's not much I can do for her! Not with all these powers floating around that I can't distinguish."

Suddenly, Emma glowed white and her eyes opened. The glow faded and she looked up at us.

"Thanks for your help, losers," she said. "Even when I'm dead I have to save myself."

My jaw dropped. "How did you do that?"

Emma shrugged, which was awkward because she was lying on the floor. "Didn't feel like dying right now. I still have things to do." She started to stand up, and I gently pushed her back down.

"Nope. You aren't getting up now. Not after what just happened."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm fine now. I promise. Go get ready for your fight."

I shook my head. "Not until I'm entirely sure that you're ok."

Emma smiled, and then looked at Dylan. "He'll keep an eye on me while you're gone. And how long will it take you get to your stuff, two minutes? I doubt one of us will die in that time."

I shook my head. "I can't do that."

Dylan interjected, "We'll be fine, Nile. We need to make sure you have enough time."

I sighed. "I don't like splitting up."

"We aren't splitting up," Emma said. "You'll still be right by us."

"Fine," I said as I walked into the other section of my training area. I grabbed the knives that I wanted, and used my air powers to open a storage section. It was a cool trick I learned when I was a 3. I could control the air to make secret storage areas which were invisible and untouchable to everyone except me. It was a handy trick for events that required dresses, when I didn't feel like carrying a purse. Or any other time when I didn't have pockets.

Who said powers always have to be used for fighting or helping people? There were plenty of cool tricks I reserved for myself.

I filled my storage bubble with everyone I could think of as necessary, including matches, water bottles, baggies of dirt, and some power bars. I always thought that calling them power bars here were misleading. They were just like mortal power bars, and they didn't do anything for your actual powers besides make you less hungry.

But anyway, that's not important right now.

I returned to the room, where Emma was now sitting on one of the benches. "Ok, she's here now," she said when I walked back in. "Can we do it?"

Dylan sighed. "If you think you're ready."

Emma laughed. "I came back from the dead for this. I'm ready."

"Ready for what?" I asked.

Emma held out her hands and closed her eyes. I could see Dylan flinching slightly. "Let me know if I'm doing too much," she said to him.

"You're fine. Keep going," he replied.

Then I realized what was happening. Emma was draining Dylan of his energy, therefore causing him to overload and lose his powers. That way he wouldn't have to risk killing himself by overloading on his own.

"Almost done, Dylan," Emma told him. "This part might hurt."

Suddenly, almost as if in response, Dylan gasped in pain. "I'm ok."

Emma opened her eyes and dropped her hands. "Done."

"Great! Now you two can get out of here," I told her.

Dylan looked at Emma. "What was Hayden's part of the plan?"

I spun around and glared at her. "What?"

Emma sighed. "I never told her. You guys will have to. I'm sorry."

Then she reached for one of the knives on the table.

"Emma," I said authoritatively. "Stop."

"Why? If the dragon gets ahold of my powers, he'll be unstoppable. All he needs is for the barrier to be taken down and then he's free. I can't give him that power if I'm dead."

"We can get rid of your powers so you can leave!" I said. "Don't do this."

She wrapped her hand around one of the knives. I held out my hand and began to heat the blade. She tightened her grip.

"I can't lose my powers. That overloading with Dylan proved it. I will always save myself from overloading, but as Alyssa proved, I can't stop mortal wounds if they happen suddenly."

"I can't let you do this. I can't lose another one of my trainees!"

"Tell Hayden this was my choice and you tried to stop me," she replied.

"You know I can't say that to her. I can't tell her that you died. It would tear her apart. I would tear me apart."

"Your world, or the world is the decision," Emma reiterated the prophecy that I had forgotten about.

I took a deep breath and cooled the blade. Then I walked over and gave her a hug. "Thank you for everything, Emma," I told her. "You've become basically a little sister to me, and I love you. I'm sorry I couldn't do more to save you."

Emma shrugged and flipped her dark hair over her shoulder. "The world is more important."

Dylan looked at her. "Thanks for being my best friend. And for saving my life, multiple times."

Emma smiled. "No problem." Then she laughed slightly. "Strange. I always figured I would need to kill someone to be a hero. I never would've guessed that person would be myself."

I closed my eyes as she lifted the knife.