Chapter 6

My eyes took a second to adjust to the brightness when I opened them.  My headache remained though.

"Not bad," Nile said as she leaned over me. "You just did too much at once, but you woke in less than five minutes without our help, so that's not too bad."

I looked over at the mat. Everything was back to normal and I was lying on one of the benches. And by normal, I mean there were no chasms, no burn marks, no puddles, or anything in the room.

"Did I fall?"

Griffin nodded. "Nile caught you. You were trying to control too much at once and you knocked yourself out."

"What happens if that happens in the competition?" I asked.

"Rules say that if someone overloads then they automatically lose. So you'll be fine," Loch said.

"Unless you're against someone who really feels like killing you."

"Ace, shut up," Octavian said.

"But you did good," Tenya added.

"Tenya: always the positive one," Griffin laughed.

The door opened and Tessa, Erin and Emma walked in.

"So this is the person we should thank?" Griffin said with a smile.

"I didn't mean to. I swear!" Emma said. Her face was really pale and she looked like she had been crying. Her hand was twitching and she kept looking all over the room. It looked like she had ADHD and had gone off meds cold turkey.

"It's fine," Nile said. "Shut up, Griff."

"I mean, I didn't really feel bad at the time. They were going to kill Alyssa, so I just kind of did it. I didn't know what I was doing; my hands just kind of did it." She moved her hands around more and more as she talked, and her breathing picked up more and more as she stood there.

"Hey. Hey. It's ok," Nile said. "They've done much worse to people."

"But I killed them."

I didn't know how to respond, and I don't think Nile did either. Thankfully, someone jumped in.

"And they killed over a hundred other students. You've done a lot more than you think," Griffin said. "You've saved a countless amount of people, and Alyssa is one of them."

"But I didn't mean to do anything!" Emma was clearly freaking out. Then she stopped moving and her eyes widened. "What's wrong with Alyssa?"

Everyone looked at me. I looked down at myself. There was nothing different, nothing wrong. "What do you mean?" Tessa asked. "She looks fine."

"No, I feel something that's wrong." She took a really deep breath as her eyes widened and she took a step back. "What's going on?"

"She's sensing that Alyssa blew herself out," Loch whispered to Nile. They were standing next to me, so I was able to overhear them, but they also weren't talking extremely quietly.

"Are you sure?" Nile asked.

Loch nodded. "I can see it."

"Can you help her?" Nile asked.

"I might." He turned and looked at Emma. She was sitting on one of the treadmills staring at her feet as she breathed deeply.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Don't worry," Loch replied.

"That didn't answer it," I said. Then I put it together. "You're going to use your mind control thing!"