Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I stood up and practically ran to the door. Before I could get there, I ran face first into an invisible wall.

"Sorry, kiddo," Erin said. "You just woke up. I can't let you go."

"Half of us stay, half of us go," Nile said.

"Fine, but I'm in charge," Erin said.

Nile looked like she was going to throw a punch. As I returned to my seat, I was seriously expecting her to attack Erin. I had never seen and never heard of anyone challenging their group leader. Ever. From what I heard, at Aptitude you stick with your leader unless they step down or you switch groups. That's just how it went.

"We'll talk about this later," Nile said. "If you're coming, get ready."

Erin, Ace and Octavian began getting their stuff together. Tessa was watching Nile as she got some knives out of a cabinet in the wall.

"Just the air and fire ones," Tessa said.

"Why?" Nile asked as she took two wicked long knives off their hooks. One looked like it could cut through anything and the other looked like it wouldn't be able to cut even a loaf of bread.

"I'm not sure. I just see it happening. Bring those two. No others."

"I wish I had an air knife," Octavian said.

"Then make one yourself," Nile replied.

"What do you mean, an air knife?" I asked.

Nile smiled and turned around so she was facing one of the practice dummies. She held the dull knife in her left hand and raised it. She brought it down with a swish, but she didn't hit anything. All of a sudden, there was a giant slash in the dummy.

"Wait, it uses the air to cut?" I said.

Nile replied, "Yep. The only problem is if you miss. The slash loses power eventually, but if someone's standing behind your target and you miss, it's not pretty."

"What about the other one?" I asked.

"Fire knife. A lot more basic." She held it up and it glowed with fire.

"Cool," I said. "How come I haven't seen weapons like that before?"

"These are custom made. Very few people have the skill to make them and you have to know those people."

"Can I have one?"

Nile laughed. "Cute, but no." Then she turned to everyone else. "Everyone ready?"

"The job is to get Alyssa back here safely," Erin said. "Engage only when necessary."

"Can I do anything to help?" I asked.

"Not right now," Erin replied.

As much as I hated to do it, I nodded in agreement. Then they went out.

"So what's it like?" I asked.

Tenya looked at me. "It's totally different. Like, before I thought that I could do anything because time could literally stop for me. Not anymore. But it's weird, because there's a feeling in my gut and it's just gone. Even when you don't know what your powers are or know that you have them, they're always there. Always a part of you. Not anymore."

"Do you think any good could come out of it?" I asked.

Griffin smiled. "You always try to think on the bright side, don't you?"

I nodded. "Yeah, I do. Don't you?"

"I have power over shadows. Bright side and me have never really gotten along."

~~~

We waited for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, the door opened, and Nile, Octavian, Erin and Ace walked inside with Alyssa.

"I had it under control," she said.

Nile laughed. "No, you didn't."

"Why were you in the library anyway?" Erin asked.

"Because I know how to defeat the darkness guy now."

"How?" everyone asked.

"I have to burn him. The only reason I can't right now is because Anthony is alive and protecting it."

"How do you know?" Tenya asked.

"And if that was true, the originals would have done that," Tessa added.

"Not if they figured it out after the fire master was dead. We all know he died, and maybe that's why he was targeted."

"How did you find that out?" Nile asked.

"I found it in a book," Alyssa replied.

"And you believe it?" Ace asked.

"It's the only shot we have," she replied.

"Plus, movies have scientifically proven that if you find it in a book, it's right," I added. Everyone glared at me. "Not helping?"

Erin shook her head. "No. Not helping."

Alyssa interrupted. "So what's the plan? I had it all under control until you had to come and 'rescue' me."

Octavian laughed. "Sure you did. What about the four Searchers that were following you?"

"Plan A: fire. Plan B: suffocation. Plan C: ground splitting open. Plan D: drown them. Or are you forgetting who won the Showdowns?"

"Then why are you asking us for a plan?" Nile asked. "You obviously have it under control."

"Because the prophecy says the following has to read the signs," Alyssa said. "I read the book, now you guys read the signs."

"Glad to know we're just the following," Ace said.

"You know what I mean," Alyssa said.

"Yeah, we do," Tenya said. "We have to plan it, and you have to do it. I can help plan."

"Yeah that's pretty much all you can do," Erin said.

"Excuse me?" Tenya said.

"That's directed at Nile, not you," Erin replied.

"Are we back to this again?" Nile said.

"We never got a chance to finish it!" Erin shouted.

"Or even start it, really," I added again. Once again, I got a serious of looks. "Ok," I said as I sat down.

"We're running out of time," Griffin said. "Every second we waste, people are being killed as sacrifices so the shadow guy can come to life. I like it a lot better when I was the most powerful shadow guy."

"That's why I'm saying we need to go," Alyssa said.

"Go where?" Nile asked.

"Out there!" Alyssa replied. "To fight! To stop him! To do anything!"

"Then why don't you?"

"Because you stopped me last time! I need you guys. Please help me!"

"I'm sure if we all shut up for a minute, we can come up with a plan," Octavian said.

"I have one," Tessa said.

~~~

Sorry for the wait.  Next chapter will be very exciting, I promise.  I'll try to get that out soon :)