Chapter 5

Class dragged on the next day. Hector kept having me use the powders even when we were working with other power branches.

"Don't you think I should be training with them so I learn a variety of powers?" I asked.

Hector shook his head. "We do this in order to see what people are good at. We found what you're good at, so you don't need to.  We begin with powders because each powder already has some magic of its own so it makes it easier for 8's to tap into their own.  Even if they aren't a powder it makes them easier for them to feel their true powers.  Now, here comes the water."

I cracked my powder and threw the dust. Then I sighed and stopped the water. The "training" was not helping me at all.

"This is amazing, Alyssa! I've never seen someone master the powder, or anything, so quickly and with such little effort or enthusiasm!"

"Yippee," I mumbled as I rolled my eyes.

"You might actually not get killed in the Showdowns."

I smiled a huge, fake smile. "Thanks."

The rest of my "normal" subjects weren't that exciting. I sat through them all until lunch. I went straight to my room.

"How was training?" Nile asked as I opened the door.

"Good. I guess. Really boring."

"Yeah, that's what I expected."

"So what are we going to do now?" I asked. The question a normal person would've asked is why are you in my room, or how did you get in my room. But I had learned by now that Nile does whatever Nile feels like doing.

"You are going to train after school today. My room."

"What about now?"

"My friends and I have a few questions."

"Ok." I was slightly confused, but I still nodded.

"Is your family pure mortal?"

"Oh is that what normal people are called here?  I'm a huge young adult fiction fan so I know the whole variety of names."

Nile crossed her arms. "Are they?"

I nodded. "Yes."

"And what did you think when you got the invite to come to school here?"

"This isn't real. Someone is messing with me."

"Did you want to go?"

"At first, yeah. Then once I figured out that it was all real, I didn't want to."

"Why not?"

I shrugged and sat on my bed. "I don't know. Something just told me that I shouldn't go."

Nile nodded. "Ok. That's all I needed to know."

"That's it?" I asked. "All of this, just for that? Why is that even important?"

"I have to go now," she opened the door and walked out.

"Nile! What's going on?" I yelled. I opened the door and looked down the hallway, but Nile was gone.  She seemed to have vanished into thin air.  I sighed as I felt the weight of my classes from the day and I thought about how long it had been since I had eaten anything.  I started heading towards the stairs to head down to the cafeteria, but then something hit me. I fell to the ground as the shocks continued. I couldn't fight it, I couldn't move, I couldn't do anything.

"Nile can't save you now," Anthony said as his friends continued to shock me.

This was going straight up great. I wasn't even going to make it to the Showdowns at this rate. Every other step I was being attacked by the same person. I had gotten lucky all of those other times before, but I had a horrible feeling luck was the only thing keeping me alive right now. That, and Nile. But Anthony was right, Nile wasn't here, and she wouldn't be able to come and help.