~ Aiden ~

Icy bits of snow danced in the air as the helicopter touched down with a bump. Flashes of bright red and blue washed over the chaotic scene. A multitude of ambulances and fire trucks had arrived, and paramedics, police, and firemen dodged scattered luggage, briefcases, bags, and shattered glass.

"What a mess." Aiden surveyed the twisted wreckage before looking at his colleague. "Ready, Em?"

Emily nodded. "Let's do this."

Aiden slung one medical bag over his shoulder, grabbing his second case of supplies before hopping to the ground. He shivered in the biting wind, drawing the collar of the heavy flight jacket up to his chin and tugging the black wool beanie over his ears.

Their boots pounded on the pavement as they bent low to avoid wash from the spinning rotors.

Emily motioned toward one of the overturned cars.

Aiden caught her hand, leaning in close, hoping she could hear him over the drone of emergency helicopters. "Take care, Em."

She raised her brows. "You too," she mouthed. After a quick squeeze to his fingers, she dashed to the closest unattended casualty.

Aiden stared after her for a moment before turning in the opposite direction. Emily was an experienced emergency physician so he shouldn't worry, but he did. Over the years he'd become close to his colleague. Or as close as he ever let himself get to a woman.

"Hey, Doc." A fireman waved before pressing gloved hands to the bloody sleeve of the man stretched out on the pavement.

Aiden rushed through the light snow, hopping over bits of debris, assessing the situation with a practiced eye. He kneeled and listened for breath sounds and a heartbeat. "Keep the pressure while I establish an airway." He stripped the wrapping from an intubation tube, taking a steadying breath before tipping the man's head and sliding it in.

A paramedic arrived and attached an Ambu bag. "Got it, Doc."

"Thanks." Aiden sliced the bloody sleeve and applied a pressure dressing before performing another check on the man's vitals and assessing his other injuries. "He's ready for transport. Let's get him on the backboard."

Once they'd secured the man, Aiden made a final assessment, and the paramedics loaded the patient into an ambulance.

"Doc." Another firefighter flagged him down and pointed to the wreckage. "We have a passenger in there with a serious leg injury."

Aiden nodded and hauled himself up, peeking through the window they'd cleared of shattered glass. He wiggled through the opening and dropped inside the car, picking his way through the debris and crouching in front of the teenager. "I've got her." He nodded to the fireman sitting with her. "We'll need a backboard."

"I'll be right back."

"Hi, I'm Dr. Hamilton. What's your name?" He noted the blood and odd angle of her leg. "Let me look."

Her fearful face lifted. "Savannah?" she whispered, her dark hair falling across her pallid cheeks as she clutched a blanket around her shoulders.

"Is that your name? Savannah?" He pulled shears from his bag and slit her pant leg.

The girl's entire body quivered as her head tilted, and she focused a blank stare on her leg.

"Don't worry, Savannah, we'll take good care of you." Aiden checked for other injuries and peered into her eyes before running his fingers over her scalp. "A small bump. Do you have any allergies, Savannah?"

The teen gave him a puzzled look before shaking her head, fresh tears dribbling down her face. "No."

"You'll feel a small pinch." Aiden injected morphine before he dressed and splinted her leg to stabilize it for transport. "They'll x-ray your leg at the hospital."