~ Part 8 ~ Aiden ~

Aiden tapped the edge of the envelope against the back of his hand. It had taken forever to pluck up the courage to open it. Days of anxiety and several sleepless nights preceded its arrival, and he almost hadn't broken the seal.

"Will it bite?"

Startled at the voice, he looked up. He hadn't heard the nurse enter the room. "Hey, Tara, I haven't seen you around for a few days." Worried she might catch a glimpse of the return address or recognize the lab's logo, he flipped the envelope. Silly perhaps, as it could be for a patient, but he didn't want to deal with her questions.

"I visited my brother. He's getting married." Tara poured some coffee, sniffing before taking a tiny sip. "Yuck. When did they make this? Two years ago? It tastes like stale dirty dishwater."

"Joe made it."

"That explains it." She grimaced and tipped her cup into the sink.

He stood and stretched. "Grant's engaged? How do you feel about that?"

"Fine. My mom's bugging me though. He's three years younger, so the pressure's on."

"My family nags me too. It's annoying, but so far I've escaped."

"You can run, but only so far." She eyed him and bit her lip. "One day, some girl will catch you." Tara's comment hung for a moment before she cleared her throat. "I should get back to work. Are you on shift?"

"I have a couple more hours." He looked away. The woman made comments all the time, and he knew what she wanted, but he couldn't force a connection he wasn't feeling. Besides, dating coworkers inevitably became messy. Best to stay away from complications; he already had enough of those in his life.

"See you out there." Tara spun and rushed through the door.

Aiden scanned the results for the hundredth time, the turmoil in his mind making it almost impossible to think. He knew what came next, but he dreaded her reaction. Facing her after all this time would be the hardest part.

----

Three hours later, he stared at the sign over the gallery. After straightening his shoulders and taking a deep breath, he stepped through the door.

A dark-haired young woman approached. "Can I help you, sir?"

"Is Tiffany in today?"

The woman had an eye for detail, and this impressive space was no exception. The muted and subtle decor showcased vivid paintings and several stands displayed sculptures. She'd put her artistic talent to good use and fulfilled her dream of breaking into the art world.

"May I tell her who's asking?"

"Aiden Hamilton." The clear cool voice echoed down the length of the room. "Thanks, Isla. I've got this."

Isla nodded and strode toward the back.

Tiffany stared at him, her icy gaze traveling over him from head to toe. "To what do I owe the honor of a visit?" Her cold tone suggested she wished he'd just disappear.

"It's been a long time," he said. "How are you?"

"Fantastic. You?" Her voice had a sharp edge to it, but the curiosity reflected in her eyes gave it away. Her interest was piqued.

"Can we talk? Privately?"

"Is there anything to be said?"

"There is."

Her vivid crystal eyes always reminded him of a clear blue sky, though now perhaps an iceberg was more fitting. At one time, she'd have thrown herself into his arms and covered him with kisses. Today, she regarded him like a bug she longed to pulverize with a shoe.