~ Savannah ~

Savannah tapped her pencil against her notebook and glanced at the clock which now showed ten past one. Her knee bounced as she fidgeted and tucked a lock of wavy honey-blonde hair behind her ear. Every ounce of courage had poured into making the call, her heart pounding and palms sweating as she requested the meeting with the enigmatic young doctor.

She shifted on the red upholstered bench, refocusing on the open page. The words blurred and she rubbed her eyes.

Her shoulders sagged as the door opened, revealing a young couple who chose a table by the window. The door opened yet again.

At the sight of the tall dark-haired man approaching her booth, Savannah exhaled a long slow breath.

"I hope you haven't been waiting long." He shrugged out of his wool overcoat and hung it neatly, tucking leather gloves and a cashmere scarf in the pocket before sliding into the opposite seat. "I got held up at the hospital." He ran slim fingers through his dark brown hair, settling the disarray caused by the icy wind. "How are you feeling today? How's your shoulder?"

"Sore." She rubbed her arm. "I have a huge bruise, but it's much better."

"Keep icing it. It'll take a few days to heal," he said. "I checked on Leanne. She's doing well, but not ready to fly. Are you planning to see her today?"

"I visited this morning and promised I'd go back this afternoon. She needed to sleep so they kicked me out." Her mouth went dry, and she took another sip of water before clearing her throat. "I have some questions."

"Would you like to eat while we talk? My treat." Aiden perused the menu. "The food's decent, or so I've heard."

Savannah opened her menu, even though she wasn't sure she could eat. Her stomach had been flip-flopping all morning. She wiggled her shoulders in a futile attempt to release the tension from her body.

Aiden motioned for the waitress, who arrived at the table sporting a bright smile. "Coffee, please. Savannah? Would you like a drink?"

"Coke?" She fought the urge to roll her eyes at the woman who'd ignored her when she'd first entered the café. The waitress had eventually poured Savannah a glass of water, but the arrival of this handsome doctor apparently warranted five-star service, complete with simpering smile and fluttering eyelashes.

The waitress trotted off but soon reappeared with their drinks. "What can I get you?" She poised her pencil over a small notepad, her gaze locking onto the young doctor.

"Savannah?"

"Chicken burger with fries." Savannah closed her menu.

"And I'll have a bacon cheeseburger with the garden salad. Thanks," Aiden said with an easy smile as he set his menu aside.

"Right away." The waitress beamed before heading off to place their orders.

"Have you always lived here?" Savannah frowned at the woman who kept peering their way, though she couldn't really blame her.

The guy seemed blessed with a genuine, classy charm. His deep brown eyes lit up when he smiled and he was decidedly good-looking and well-dressed. Leanne had already labeled the man a chick-magnet which made Savannah squirm, considering the circumstances.

"I was born here, though I lived in Philadelphia during medical school. Have you always lived in Portland?"

Savannah nodded. "I was born at University Medical. My mom taught fifth grade and my dad worked for a bank, but," she said, studying the man closely, "they're not my real parents."

"Oh?"

"They adopted me when I was an hour old." She pushed the ice around her soda with her straw. "My mom died a year ago. My dad is retired."