What Hurts The Most: Number 8

            “Oh, honey, I’m so glad that you’re home! I thought that you weren’t going to show up, then I’d have to call the neighbors to take care of Santana and Logan.” My mom said pulling me in a quick hug once I entered the house. I saw my dad behind my mom, looking at his watch on his left wrist.

            “Wait, what do you mean?” I asked her, breaking from the hug, and looking at my parents.

            “I thought Robert told you—” she started.

            “Chelsea, hurry up,” my dad kissed her nose; “I’ll be in the car.”

            “Mom, what’s happening?”

            “Honey, we’re leaving early on the cruise, I’m really sorry, Claire; Robert was supposed to tell you today on the car ride to school.” She quickly hugged me. “Bye, Claire, I’ll see you in five months!”

            Before I knew it, I was standing alone, looking at the door in front me being closed my by very own mother, who looked happy as heck. I had to take care of my little brother and little sister. And myself and the little one inside of me.

            I knew I could go next door and bring VeeAnn over since she’s home schooled and I could talk to her; she was basically another best friend to me, we’ve been living next door since third grade and everything and we’ve been through a lot, all the ‘I might move’ and the ‘Oh my god, he’s cute, you think he likes me?’, we’ve been through it all.

            “Hey, VeeAnn, want to come over?” I asked once she answered her phone, I was in my room taking off my shoes.

            “Uh, yeah sure; I really don’t have a choice do I?” she chuckled.

            “Nope, not really,” I laughed, laying on my bed.

            “Yeah, I’ll be there; I’m going to finish an assignment at your place, if you don’t mind.”

            “Yeah sure, and you’re going to help me with a couple things anyways.” I sighed.

            “Okie dokie, I’ll be there in a bit, bye.”

            “Bye.” I hung up, and just stared at the ceiling, thinking about everything that’s going to happen in the next five months.

            Today was my last day at school and I didn’t get to say a proper good-bye to anybody; even though they would visit after school and on the weekends, I didn’t say a good-bye.

            “Can’t believe this actually happening,” I said tears going down my face; I lifted my shirt up a little and put my hands on top. “I’m pregnant, pregnant and I don’t know what to do.

            I cried for about thirty more seconds until I heard the front door open and VeeAnn say, “I’m here, Claire! Sorry it took a while, I had to go to the gas station and buy all the Nutella they had and Oreos.”

            I smiled at myself, and wiped my hands all over my face, trying to dry up the tears. I don’t want her seeing me like this.

            “Hey, thanks for bringing that stuff over,” I smiled at her once she entered my room and closed the door.