Pomegranate Party

The next day began the dance rehearsals. We were doing a girls only night with tons of dancing and singing involved, no boys and no parents allowed. They would all go out to eat that night while we enjoyed.

Zinat apaa was a magician. She was born to be a wedding planner. She had us all sit down, without Navsheen though, whom her brothers were entertaining, and got the night planned. Mannat, Safiyana's sister-in-law, and myself would be the leads. We were doing a series of wedding related songs with all the other girls. And then there'd be an antakshari game with the prize being a surprise.

We were given a strict rehearsal schedule, two weeks of intense practicing. The choreography was simple and easy and so after day one, we had half, if not most of it down. It was 1am before we all went to bed.

"Damn you guys, who keeps the bride out of her house till 1am?" Nav flopped onto my bed and stretched. "Armaan and Ali both came to drop me off but I think they just fell asleep downstairs."

"What about you Mrs. Zafar-to-be? Any plans to sleep anytime soon?" I threw my hair up into a loose bun and joined her.

"Of course, I need my beauty sleep now," she snorted and actually scooted up so she was sleeping on the other half of the bed. I closed all the lights, turned on the fan, and lay down with her.

But of course, I couldn't sleep.

It still happened, there just were some nights. I lay there for about two hours before I just got out of bed. I was exhausted, the jaw-breaking yawns were indications of that but sleep evaded me. Grabbing my phone and headphones, I closed the door behind me and head down to the kitchen. The entire house was dark and so I patted the wall as I went to find the light switch. Once I found it, I let light fill the kitchen and looked for something to eat.

I opened the fridge to find a plate of pomegranates. Taking a knife, I jumped up onto the counter and plugged my headphones in. 3:27 am.

The first song that played was a bit too upbeat for this time of the night and so I scrolled through the playlist till I found one to fit my fancy.

I was halfway through the pomegranate when he decided to intrude.

------ 

ALI

She was sitting on the counter, with one light on, swinging her legs and swaying her head to something playing in her headphones. There was a pomegranate filled plate in her hands and she'd eaten half of it already. A late night pomegranate party, I presume. 

"Neend nahi aati? (Can't sleep?)" I asked her as I filled a glass of water.

She shook her head, taking her headphones out.

"Sab teekh hai? (Everything okay?)" I asked again, unable to help myself.

She just nodded again. Okay, guess conversation isn't her forte.

"Tumhe neend ni aati? (You aren't sleepy?)" I was just about to turn around when she spoke up.

"Sapne dekhte dekhte neend bhi ur jaati hai (Sometimes dreaming make sleep go away)" I sighed, walking back into the kitchen and jumping up to sit on the other side of the counter.

"Matlab? (Meaning?)" she asked, confusedly.

"Kuch nahi (Nothing)" I shook my head.

Silence. She swung her legs slightly and scrolled through her phone with one hand and ate with the other.

"So tum kya karti ho? Matlab, school, job, kuch? (So what do you do? I mean, are you in school, working...?)" I tried once again to get her talking. She took her headphones out and set her phone down. A good sign.