Friends?

Today was the mehendi. We weren't doing the fun stuff tonight, as we set aside a separate night to be a sangeet style night tomorrow. I woke up nice and early today because I was knocked out nice and early last night.

But waking up was a mistake. Today was just a shit day.

First, my dress was burned when I was stupidly ironing it without changing the setting. Then all the bread was finished so no breakfast. Then I when I decided to pray namaaz, a cockroach ran in front of me, making me break my prayer.

Death couldn't be that bad could it?

"Naz," Navsheen came into the room, a makeup artist following behind her. I got up off the bed and put my Quran away to let them set up.

"Put on your dress," the makeup artist told her. I helped Nav into the heavy red and yellow anarkali. We sat her in the chair and the makeup artist got started.

"Wow aapki mehendi kitni rang layi! (Wow your henna came out so dark)," the artist looked over Nav's hand.

"Bohat pyaar karte hai humara dulha isse (Our groom really loves her)," I teased.

The makeup artist laughed, entertaining Navsheen about a bride client of hers whose henna did not come out dark enough and had to stop the mother from drawing over it with marker.

Brown women are freaking insane.

I left Navsheen for a bit to grab something to eat since I hadn't had breakfast or lunch yet. My mom was in the kitchen with Nav's mom.

"Nazeeha, Humera aur Hiba ko jewellery dhoondh do na (Nazeeha, find Humera and Hiba some jewellery)" she gestured to my sisters sitting in the dining room on their iPads. Normally I would've whined and bitched about how they have their stuff and I don't need to waste my time but because Nav's mom was here, I silently nodded.

"Come upstairs," I told them and head up to my parents room. They came a minute later, pushing and shoving each other. I sighed, sitting down on the bed. "Show me your dresses."

They opened the closet and got out their dresses for tonight. Brown with gold for both. How fitting for the day you're supposed to wear every colour in the rainbow.

"Why don't you guys wear the pink ones you got?"

They were two years apart but it was hard to tell as such. Both the same hate, with H names and similar idiocy levels, most people assumed they were twins. And it didn't help that they usually wore the same, if not really similar dresses at weddings.

"Because they're too heavy. We're gonna wear those on the wedding day," Humera said. I nodded and got up to the boxes of jewellery in my mom's suitcase. The woman, as usual, went overboard and bought enough stuff to open our own store back home.

I rummaged through the shit and found them both earrings and bangles to match their dresses. Then I worked through their hairstyles and makeup plans. For a pair of preteens, their sass was unreal sometimes. I left them then to get my own stuff ready.

Navsheen was just about ready when I walked back into our room. "Is the photographer here yet?" she asked me.

"I have no idea, I'll go check," I walked back downstairs, looking for some adult who might know. Luckily enough, I ran into Zinat bhabhi.

"Bhabhi, is the photographer here? Nav is almost ready."

"Let me call him. Could you take this into the kitchen for me please?" she handed me a tray of candles. "Put them in the fridge, they're melting," she groaned.